Vortec Heads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matoolis

Reaction score
I've been reading alot about mods and upgrades for a TBI 350 and one of the main ones i've heard is vortec heads...so is this a brand of heads or is it taking the actual heads from a Vortec motor? because i have a donor truck that has a 5.7 Vortec(97') in it and i was thinking about taking the heads from it if thats the case. If so are there any other mods that are required for this swap? I'm very new to TBI motors, But i'm pretty familiar with carb 350's and the Vortec one's...Thanks!

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the whole 5.7 Vortec is in good shape you might want to consider swapping the engine. The 97 like my 98 has sequential fuel injection which is a lot better than TBI.

Matoolis

Reaction score
Well the vortec needs a new injection system is why i was thinking the heads..if i was to swap motors would it work with the current transmission that in it?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Well the vortec needs a new injection system is why i was thinking the heads..if i was to swap motors would it work with the current transmission that in it?

Yes, you would need to swap computers, harness, etc though, so It's not really worth it.

Vortec heads from a Vortec engine or a set of GMPP Vortec heads will be a HUGE improvement.

Only other modification you will need is an intake manifold. The Vortec heads have a different mounting pattern. The cheapest thing for this would be to get a Vortec intake for a carb and then get a carb to TBI adapter.

70bird

Reaction score
I'm curious about this too, and wonder if Vortec heads will offer a noticeable improvement with the stock cam?

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Well since the injection system is messed up then like the other guy said, all you'll need is the intake manifold for Vortec heads. Only reason I said to maybe swap engines is because Most people with TBI don't like it and prefer sequential injection. I guess the only real gain for an engine swap is if you went from the 350 TBI to a 5.3 or 6.0 from a newer gen. If I had a truck with TBI and had an engine that had sequential injection I personally would swap engines. If the truck isn't your DD you could maybe swap engines and then sell the TBI 350 and use that money to fix the FI in the Vortec. But, if it's your DD then just do like the other guy said and swap out the heads and get an intake made for Vortecs.

I'm curious about this too, and wonder if Vortec heads will offer a noticeable improvement with the stock cam?

As far as I know, the Vortec heads just have better air flow. I think the intake channels create a vortex (hints the name Vortec). Not sure if you'd notice a big change, but I've been told you will notice at least a little change.

Last edited:

Matoolis

Reaction score
Alright. i'll have to look into the intake and adapter then. thanks!

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Might be easier for you just to swap the entire engine in, plug all your TBI sensors and stuff into it, the way I understand is this is essentially like doing a vortec head swap.. minus the head swap... while adding an engine swap... lol.
Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.
But may be easier for you then a head swap.. everybodys different

STEBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Might be easier for you just to swap the entire engine in, plug all your TBI sensors and stuff into it, the way I understand is this is essentially like doing a vortec head swap.. minus the head swap... while adding an engine swap... lol.
Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.
But may be easier for you then a head swap.. everybodys different

thats probly what i would do, vortec is a much better engine imo, the only possible issue id see with the engine swap and just run tbi intake would be comp. ratio... im not sure if it would mess with the ecm... tbi was 9.3:1 and the vortec was 9.5:1... i dont think it would make all that much difference, but as i said, im not sure if that may pose a problem with factory tuning