vortec head id ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sandjunkie

Reaction score
where is the casting numbers on the vortec head and what is the best way to know what i have on my motor its a 97 5.7

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how heavy is the truck (i.e. 1500, 2500, 3500, etc)? IIRC the casting number will be under the valve covers.

most likely you have 062 heads. if its a heavy truck with the 5.7 in it, than you might have 906 heads. but it really doesn't matter, they're both about the same, the 906 has hardened seats, but they both flow and perform equally well.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aloicious is correct about them being under the valve cover. The 062 or the 906 that he is in reference to are the last 3 numbers in the head casting. Being that you have a 97 it would have come with vortec heads. The easy identifier is that it will have 4 intake bolts per head and they stand straight up. The earlier heads have 6 intake bolts per head and the go in at angles. Beware though because there is a 5.0 (305) vortec head as well and it isn't as good on a larger bore (350 and up) engine due to valve shrouding and IIRC they also have smaller chambers.

Sandjunkie

Reaction score
the reason for asking is i have the origanal complete motor for sale and a guy was curious what ones they are so i was trying to figure it out but thank you for the help

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh okay, yeah, most likely they're 062's....it really doesn't matter though, just FYI, several years ago there was a article published in a magazine that said the 906 heads didn't flow as good as the 062's, however their testing method was flawed and they later retracted their statement and said they both flowed equally well...however not everyone saw the retraction, so there is still the misunderstanding floating aroud that the 906 heads are inferior to the 062 heads, but that just isn't true. just FYI incase someone asks about that.