Vortec 350 V8 Engine ???'s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe its just me, but I always switch to 5w-30 in the winter and run 10w-30 in the summer. I always let my truck warm up for 10 mins before I go anywhere in the mornings.

Another good thing to check for winter is the washer fluid. I know several people that are to cheap to fill it with cleaner so they use water, lol.

supjim12

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK lets start with block heaters. Since the OP is in Tex. really won't need them as you guys get one cold winter every15 or so years. The purpose of a block heater is to keep coolant from warm so when you start the truck operating temps sooner less of a warm up time. Now to the person/people saying you can jump in and go. when your oil it thick it takes longer for it to travel from bottom to top. Now me personally I am willing to let my truck warm up for 15-20 minutes so all my fluids are flowing properly and the fact I know everything is well lubed up.

bluebear15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i've never had any problems in the cold. even when its 10 degrees below zero. she starts up just fine but i usually give a 10min warm up when its colder than 20 degrees out

Ginger

Teh General
Reaction score
OK lets start with block heaters. Since the OP is in Tex. really won't need them as you guys get one cold winter every15 or so years. The purpose of a block heater is to keep coolant from warm so when you start the truck operating temps sooner less of a warm up time. Now to the person/people saying you can jump in and go. when your oil it thick it takes longer for it to travel from bottom to top. Now me personally I am willing to let my truck warm up for 15-20 minutes so all my fluids are flowing properly and the fact I know everything is well lubed up.

it may be thicker, put its still getting pumped everywhere, now what is the difference if it has the thick oil idling, or the thick oil driving, now im not talking about hitting 5k shifts, but if you cruise with it under 2500 rpm. it wont make any more wear and tear. plus it warms up quicker when your moving it.

supjim12

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
it may be thicker, put its still getting pumped everywhere, now what is the difference if it has the thick oil idling, or the thick oil driving, now im not talking about hitting 5k shifts, but if you cruise with it under 2500 rpm. it wont make any more wear and tear. plus it warms up quicker when your moving it.

Because when oil is cold it is hard to move through passages. Do this go get a bottle of syrup put it in the fridge over night try to pour it out in the morning after that put it in the mircowave for about 30 secs now pour it flows easier causing less strain in oil pump and cam. You will notice a difference in how the engine responds as the tranny fluid is also being warmed and can flow easier preventing hard shifts. I am not saying oil and syrup are the same but you can do the same thing by buying a bottle of oil let it sit out on a cold night and do the same thing (if you have a microwave to spare).

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Because when oil is cold it is hard to move through passages. Do this go get a bottle of syrup put it in the fridge over night try to pour it out in the morning after that put it in the mircowave for about 30 secs now pour it flows easier causing less strain in oil pump and cam. You will notice a difference in how the engine responds as the tranny fluid is also being warmed and can flow easier preventing hard shifts. I am not saying oil and syrup are the same but you can do the same thing by buying a bottle of oil let it sit out on a cold night and do the same thing (if you have a microwave to spare).

At ~60psi, it doesn't matter much how viscous the oil is. It will get to where it needs to be before the engine even starts.

Ginger

Teh General
Reaction score
At ~60psi, it doesn't matter much how viscous the oil is. It will get to where it needs to be before the engine even starts.

thank you chris, you guys worry to much. i have raced many small blocks only time you ever need to warm up is when you have a carb and have no choke. other then that dont worry.