Vortec 350 V8 Engine ???'s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Your gas engine should be fine with a regular tuneup. Diesels sometimes need block heaters but certainly not in Texas.

My 99 5.7 did come with a blockheater but thats because it was a new hampshire truck where it can get extremely cold for long periods.

Living right on Lake Michigan makes for extremely cold and windy winters. I can see the lake from my house and my truck feels all the pain it dishes out all winter. That block heater was a life saver when it was below zero for several days in a row last winter. In Texas I would say it would be overkill.

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it just puts excess wear, ass soon as you see oil pressure is when everything is being lubes, the metal to metal your talking about is that half a second to second of no oil pressure on startup, which occurs if you let it sit or not. it just puts more wear on things for no purpose.

There is a purpose, because the motor does warm up. Granted, on monday when it was -30* (no wind chill) I let it run for almost an hour before driving it and it was barely warm then, but at least my cab was up to 60* and not still at -30*.

I let mine warm up when it's below freezing for 5-10 minutes or up to an hour depending on the temp. I dunno about you guys but I don't like sitting in 20* weather for the first 10 minutes I'm driving.

Mine started with no block heater, can't remember the last time I did a tune up, hadn't been driven in 3 days (not that it matters when it's this cold) and it still fired up after it turned over a few times in -20 to -30* weather. I think you're fine there, you're just not used to your truck staying on the high idle for more than a minute or two and listening to some of the odd creaks and squeaks that develop when stuff gets cold.

Ginger

Teh General
Reaction score
There is a purpose, because the motor does warm up. Granted, on monday when it was -30* (no wind chill) I let it run for almost an hour before driving it and it was barely warm then, but at least my cab was up to 60* and not still at -30*.

I let mine warm up when it's below freezing for 5-10 minutes or up to an hour depending on the temp. I dunno about you guys but I don't like sitting in 20* weather for the first 10 minutes I'm driving.

Mine started with no block heater, can't remember the last time I did a tune up, hadn't been driven in 3 days (not that it matters when it's this cold) and it still fired up after it turned over a few times in -20 to -30* weather. I think you're fine there, you're just not used to your truck staying on the high idle for more than a minute or two and listening to some of the odd creaks and squeaks that develop when stuff gets cold.

i didnt think it was that damn cold, i still wouldnt let it sit for a hour, but hell, i would make my self a garage with the money they your spending on gas

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i didnt think it was that damn cold, i still wouldnt let it sit for a hour, but hell, i would make my self a garage with the money they your spending on gas

Eh, the fuel mileage goes down with winter blended gas anyways. I wasted maybe a gallon or two of gas letting it idle like that. For $5 I'd rather sit in a warmish truck. My commute is short by most standards since I use a 1/2 tank of gas every 3 weeks or better in the summer, so a tank every 2 weeks in the winter still isn't bad by my standards.
A heated garage would be nice, but I spend less on gas than I would heating a garage all winter.

Sorry if I'm coming off as a dick, I'm just trying to show you that while not as good as having a heated garage, you can idle your truck to warm it up.

Last edited:

Ginger

Teh General
Reaction score
just a normal garage will cut down your warm up time, cuz it will not have any wind chill or anything weather wise involved, its like putting a jacket on it lol

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just a random question, but how cold does it get in NJ regularly?

After this I'm done ******* this poor guys thread, as none of this really has anything to do with him considering it only gets below freezing a few times a year there.

SCOTT_99

LOUISIANA BORN AND RAISED
Reaction score

After this I'm done ******* this poor guys thread, as none of this really has anything to do with him considering it only gets below freezing a few times a year there.

Good ******* point. I am use to this kind of weather, after all I am originally from Monroe, LA. which is right down Interstate 20 from Dallas, but after living in Miami,FL for two years its alittle hard getting use to this cold **** again. But you guys are right, I am hearing wierd creeks and squeaks and clicking noises when I'd driving it for the first 10 min. or so.

Do you guys have any idea why my radiator is leaking Anti-freeze? It only does it during the winter months or when it is slightly colder outside. Never does it during the summer. Th e radiator is probably 3 yrs old. The OEM one finally died after 7 yrs. Would you just suggest I get some temp. stop **** from Auto-Zone or do a regular pressure test to see where the leqak is coming from?

Thanks,

Scott

Ginger

Teh General
Reaction score

its currently in the teens here. normally doesnt get below 0 though.

Good ******* point. I am use to this kind of weather, after all I am originally from Monroe, LA. which is right down Interstate 20 from Dallas, but after living in Miami,FL for two years its alittle hard getting use to this cold **** again. But you guys are right, I am hearing wierd creeks and squeaks and clicking noises when I'd driving it for the first 10 min. or so.

Do you guys have any idea why my radiator is leaking Anti-freeze? It only does it during the winter months or when it is slightly colder outside. Never does it during the summer. Th e radiator is probably 3 yrs old. The OEM one finally died after 7 yrs. Would you just suggest I get some temp. stop **** from Auto-Zone or do a regular pressure test to see where the leqak is coming from?

Thanks,

Scott

dont use stop leak. it clogs the heater core and messes more stuff up.

pressure test it. hopefully that shows you the leak. my side tank cracked on mine once

1996 yukon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
one thing i do know about these engines is that they are tough as hell and can last for a long time. mine has 286k ish and its great besides the spider for the injection, and fpr. holding 40 psi of oil pressure ftw