Vortec 350 V8 Engine ???'s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Appreciate the answers guys.

What do you know about Engine Block heaters and **** like that?

Unless you plan on living in a climate where it's below zero every night(zero as in zero, NOT freezing) then it's not needed. Being in Texas you won't see cold enough temperatures to warrant any specialized cold weather mods.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
I am not doing it to build heat, I'm doing it to get the engine oil running thru the motor. Your not hurting anything letting your vehicle warm up before you drive.

You have oil pressure before the engine even fires. 5wXX oil is still plenty viscous even at temperatures well below freezing.

Ginger

Teh General
Reaction score
Myth #1: The engine should be warmed up before driving. Reality: Idling is not an effective way to warm up your vehicle, even in cold weather. The best way to do this is to drive the vehicle. With today's modern engines, you need no more than 30 seconds of idling on winter days before driving away.

Myth #2: Idling is good for your engine. Reality: Excessive idling can actually damage your engine components, including cylinders, spark plugs, and exhaust systems. Fuel is only partially combusted when idling because an engine does not operate at its peak temperature. This leads to the build up of fuel residues on cylinder walls that can damage engine components and increase fuel consumption.

Reaction score
the oil flows through the motor at startup, thats why the oil has the weight ratings. oil pressure guage goes up to 60 when you start up, and you have no better protection from warm to that,

You want the oil to thin out and lube all the moving parts. Let it warm up til your Rpm's drop to a normal level and your temp gauge shows it warm.Majority of engine wear is right at start up when there is metal on metal contact until fluids start flowing.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
You want the oil to thin out and lube all the moving parts. Let it warm up til your Rpm's drop to a normal level and your temp gauge shows it warm.Majority of engine wear is right at start up when there is metal on metal contact until fluids start flowing.

This isn't necessary nowadays. Unless it's -10*F the oil is plenty thin at startup, and like was stated, less than a minute of warm up time is all that's needed. It makes no sense to let a vehicle idle for a half hour on a cold morning until it's at operating temp.

Reaction score
I have yet to have engine failure in any of my personal vehicles or work trucks by doing this, been doing this since I got my first truck and I'll do it with the last one I own.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
I doubt it'd cause any kind of failure, but it's hell on plugs wastes tons of fuel.

Ginger

Teh General
Reaction score
I doubt it'd cause any kind of failure, but it's hell on plugs wastes tons of fuel.

it just puts excess wear, ass soon as you see oil pressure is when everything is being lubes, the metal to metal your talking about is that half a second to second of no oil pressure on startup, which occurs if you let it sit or not. it just puts more wear on things for no purpose.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your gas engine should be fine with a regular tuneup. Diesels sometimes need block heaters but certainly not in Texas.

My 99 5.7 did come with a blockheater but thats because it was a new hampshire truck where it can get extremely cold for long periods.