Voltmeter Bounce

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Armalite15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So 1996 K1500 with 171,000 miles, struck a deer on the way to work late last year. Every since when the turn signal is on the voltmeter pulses with the turn signal flasher. They replaced the grill, one headlamp assembly and turn signal assemblies as well. I've done some looking around but no serious testing yet, I'm guessing its a bad / loose ground that is likely causing this?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would guess ground or even possibly the cluster itself.. not the same issue but I use to notice my green turn signal would dim every now and then when the opposite single was on. More noticable with the hazards. When I had my accident I made sure all my grounds were clean in the front any wires I tapped into were soldered and no Nick's in the jackets. When I connected everything never did it again.. works good now. Btw one easy ground that looses connection is the ground next to the washer fluid. I would double check everything especially if your front got smashed

Armalite15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I'll test the alternator and start checking those grounds, hope it's not the cluster.

Armalite15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tested battery says good but needs charging so I thought maybe it was going to be the alternator. Next checked the starter which passed, lastly the alternator which showed good diodes, good output no problems. Curious about the battery saying needs charging, guess I'll start checking the grounds. If I knew it would cure that gauge issue I'd change the alternator anyway.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my voltmeter bounces with blinkers. Always has. New ad244 alt, and new battery. big 3 so main grounds are good. I think its in the cluster.

CKVortec

Indian name is "Walks on Knuckles"
Reaction score
my voltmeter bounces with blinkers. Always has. New ad244 alt, and new battery. big 3 so main grounds are good. I think its in the cluster.
Every Chevy C/K truck I have ever driven has had this issue. When you turn on the turn signals the volt meter bounces in time with them right?

Armalite15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Every Chevy C/K truck I have ever driven has had this issue. When you turn on the turn signals the volt meter bounces in time with them right?

Yes it does, however it didn't do it before I hit the deer.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not glad that you’re having the problem, but I’m glad I’m not the only one. In my case, swapping with a known good cluster didn’t change it.

Dumb thing still looks like a metronome with the signals on. Fingers crossed that you figure it out.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dumb thing still looks like a metronome with the signals on.
Ahhh a musical background? Years ago I assembled an electronic one for a buddy of mine from Heathkit. We still have a "normal" one here with a Yamaha piano no one plays, LMAO.