Vinyl roof top

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey members I was going to get my roof painted and hood and tailgate last week but im wanting a steel 2'' cowl hood first and might anyone around the Houston area have one.?

Well then members I was thinking :hmm: would a vinyl top look good on a truck or my truck let me know what you think?
Thanks! :)

Or should I stop thinking. :confused: :Stupid Me:

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Hey members I was going to get my roof painted and hood and tailgate last week but im wanting a steel 2'' cowl hood first and might anyone around the Houston area have one.?

Well then members I was thinking :hmm: would a vinyl top look good on a truck or my truck let me know what you think?
Thanks! :)

Or should I stop thinking. :confused: :Stupid Me:

There is probably a very good reason that I've never seen a truck with a vinyl roof.

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
You can get a vinyl roof right after you mail in your aarp membership.

On a side note is there a company that does this heres a couple cars ive seen with cloth roofs
Ford fusion
Nissan altima
Hyundai elantra
Toyota camry
Now these were all appr 5+ years old pretty ugly

Adam

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was just putting it out there seeing what some of you would say and I was thinking it won't last as long as my paint has lasted I guess now im going to buy a cowl hood here in Houston for $305.00 that's including tax.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
The automakers started putting vinyl roofs on cars years ago as a way to cover up some shoddy assembly issues. The cars with wonky roofs were the ones that got the vinyl. Then it became a "style".

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I do vinyl wraps on cars at my job. We use 3m its covered under warranty unless its a hood or roof panel. The reason being after about 3 years the sun will start to fade and crack the material. O have noticed this mostly happens with black/dark colors. Vinyl wrap is really cool though I might be doing my truck all matte white soon!

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do vinyl wraps on cars at my job. We use 3m its covered under warranty unless its a hood or roof panel. The reason being after about 3 years the sun will start to fade and crack the material. O have noticed this mostly happens with black/dark colors. Vinyl wrap is really cool though I might be doing my truck all matte white soon!

My 1970 GTO had a vinyl top and it lasted a good while to me what messed it was rust started forming under it.

What would the cost be more less to do my roof and what color would look good and how long do you think it will hold up or look good?

Just wondering since do this type of work. Thanks! RJ

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
My 1970 GTO had a vinyl top and it lasted a good while to me what messed it was rust started forming under it.

What would the cost be more less to do my roof and what color would look good and how long do you think it will hold up or look good?

Just wondering since do this type of work. Thanks! RJ

It depends on where you live. Here in Colorado we have intense sunlight most of the year because of the altitude. Out hear a black roof will last 2-3 years. White roof would last a lot longer say 5 years. I see your truck in the sig and I think a grey or silver would look good. You will have to look at 3m wrap on eBay...measure the widest part of your roof and try to get a sheet/roll that wide. If you can't you will need knifless tape and a lot of skill to overlap the material. Cost depends on what type of wrap...ie chrome is expensive and hard to apply. White is cheap and easy to apply.

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
It depends on where you live. Here in Colorado we have intense sunlight most of the year because of the altitude. Out hear a black roof will last 2-3 years. White roof would last a lot longer say 5 years. I see your truck in the sig and I think a grey or silver would look good. You will have to look at 3m wrap on eBay...measure the widest part of your roof and try to get a sheet/roll that wide. If you can't you will need knifless tape and a lot of skill to overlap the material. Cost depends on what type of wrap...ie chrome is expensive and hard to apply. White is cheap and easy to apply.

Carbon fiber wrap is stupid $$$ & extremely hard to install, especially on GMT400 hoods, due to those 2 grooves.
I've done vinyl roofs on trucks before. Usually on lowered imports. Then a matching tonneau. But, that was a very long time ago. Haven't done one in many years. It was more of a fad back then. I think that they're kinda ugly. Especially when the last one I did was purple on a yellow truck! Bleccchhhh!