VATS VOODOO: PASSlock workaround questions:

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wish I had some answers for you but unfortunately I'm just going off of what I've read/been told. Both of my trucks are '97s so I've never had to deal with the horrors of PassLock in person. I'm truthfully not sure if the PCM looks for the signal from the PassLock module before or after turning the key to start.

The whole thing is an unholy mystery.
What I've heard is that if it doesn't recognise a 'coded' key then no dice. Except mine will start with a blade key with nothing else (the spare without the remote fob). The bulletin you linked though implies its activated by an attempt without a key (coded or otherwise) ie, good 'ol 'hot wire' and what is detected by PL is lack of key/barrel rotation or, lack of key in barrel. The latter is plausible because the truck knows when the key is in or out (without any rotation) - as anyone with that damned chime will testify!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Can passlock vats be tuned out if the passlock module is missing from the vehicle?

Yes, in this case it must. The tune lives on the PCM, not the passlock module. I deleted VATS on both of my drivers and did the resistor mod/relearn like the OP did to my flipper truck I never have time to finish.