Valve cover removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheClev.z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got the cover loose on the drivers side but can't get it off. 5.7 l vortec. What do I do from here?

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Like its stuck to the heads or you can't maneuver it out? It can be done, but removing the alternator brackets makes it much easier.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
If everything is out of the way and all the bolts are removed, it's just stuck on. Take a small pry back or a screw driver and start rocking your way around it breaking the suction.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
or if you can get to it hit it with a wood handle hammer or rubber mallet, something softish along those lines.

TheClev.z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got it loose just couldn't get it off. The alt is in the way. But I'll wait till is cooler to take everything off. It's hitin up around 101 already.
You must be registered for see images attach
. Or 105 according to my car

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
or if you can get to it hit it with a wood handle hammer or rubber mallet, something softish along those lines.

I wouldn't go wacking at it with even a rubber mallet. Valve covers are only thin stamped steel and the gaskets they use don't hold that tight and aren't sticky unless someone used RTV on it. They're made to come off. If you've gotta wack a valve cover with a hammer then something is wrong.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had to do it before. I'd rather do it then pry the edges with a screwdrive because that bends the lips up.

I've never had a problem with it, just smack it with my hand or bump it with the wood handle or something. Knocks loose easy enough.

I don't mean to knock it hard either, just lightly to knock it loose. A few pecks or even one smal peck does it. My hand works too but sometimes I'd rather not smack it with my hand and hurt myself lol. I have enough trouble with my wrists as it is.

My biggest issue is always all the wires in the way trying to raise enough to clear the rockers yet slide it off the motor.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^^^^

kinda rough on the hands sometimes.

man 105 tho. I'm complaining about high humidity 90's here LOL.

TheClev.z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The top of the drivers side valve cover is all grimy and the passengers isn't. And also the cylinder(s) that are the issue have the worst grime on it. I don't know how they are numbered but it's the first 1 or 2 cylinders closest to the firewall