Vacula pneumatic evacuation pump. Parts and opinions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A friend gave me this Vacula oil evacuation pump from the 90's to early 2k's. It's the kind that builds vacuum off a compressed air supply. I used it on my daughter's V6 3.5L no problem. On the GM 5.7 Vortec the hose or wand or whatever doesn't reach the bottom of the oil pan. I don't think it pulled more than a quart or so. The wands attach to the hose using what I think is an industrial high flow style QD pneumatic fitting. It looks similar to the fittings on all my other air tools but larger in diameter.
Does anyone know where I could get longer hoses in this style?
Second question: The guy who gave it to me said there was something wrong with the pressure (vacuum) gauge. I took everything apart and cleaned it. I noticed that the gauge stem is vented, which prevented the tank from holding vacuum with my small compressor. I wrapped the vent in electrical tape and now it works fine. After I reassembled everything, I found a soft rubber collar and I am wondering if this was supposed to form a seal on the vent under vacuum. It's a hassle to take it apart again. Just wondering if anyone has a similar tool.
Thank you for any information you might have.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well,that sucks!
Any possibility of putting an oversize plug in it?
The problem I see with your vacuum sucker other than it's not working is you can't get out all the crud that accumulates in the bottom of the pan.
I was taught to drain the oil after a good running while the oil is still hot. The idea is the contaminates are stirred up and in suspension with the oil and get dumped out with it. Wonder if your sucker would work better if the oil is hot?

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
never a fan of those systems unless it's for marine and there's no other way, and those situations have a dipstick tube the goes to the bottom of the pan.....self-tapping oversized drain plug /new gasket. Napa, maybe others have them.

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’d just replace the pan if the plug is stripped out. They are not that expensive and quick to swap
If your trying to do an at home flush after you replace pan fill her up run it a few minutes. Shut it off drain and fill it again. And maybe do it a 3rd time and fluid should look good. We have a fancy flush machine that does dipstick mode at work. It basically does the same thing but as the truck is running. It will add a few quarts and suck a few quarts out till it runs it’s coarse of around 16qts.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wands attach to the hose using what I think is an industrial high flow style QD pneumatic fitting. It looks similar to the fittings on all my other air tools but larger in diameter.
Does anyone know where I could get longer hoses in this style?
Photos? In-focus, close-up, nicely-cropped.

Have you contacted Vacula/CEJN?

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am honestly surprised no one else uses one of these. A heavy equipment mechanic told me top suction was all they used.

Attachments

• IMG_20230805_190450679_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230805_190450679_HDR.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230805_190456882_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230805_190456882_HDR.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230805_190503712_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230805_190503712_HDR.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230805_190516800_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230805_190516800_HDR.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230805_190532364_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230805_190532364_HDR.jpg
    490.2 KB · Views: 5

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do plan to replace the pan at some point, but I believe it requires dropping the front axle.
As for draining vs suction, I asked the guy who gave it to me the same question. He owned a service shop for years and has a lot of professional tools after selling the business. His conention is that you actually get more fluid from suction than from draining. He says most pans have a lip around the drain to support the plug threads, which means a fair amount of fluid is always left behind. Suction on the other hand can get nearly everything. This jives with what a Cashman mechanic told me years ago.
When I used the pump on my daughter's car, I wasn't convinced it had pulled all the fluid. I crawled underneath and I could hear the sucking sound like if you were sucking the last of a drink through a straw. I removed the drainplug and nothing came out.