Urgent: no brake lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Purefection

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay so I had my dash apart, when I put it back together I noticed I had no signals, no hazards, no brake lights. Checked the fuses and number 1 (stop/haz) and number 16 (turn/backup) were blown. Replaced them both. Signals are now working fine. Still no brake lights and as soon as I turn the hazards on the fuse blows. (number 1 fuse).

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know what year your truck is but on the 95+ steering column, the red hazard switch can be jammed in such a way as to cause all kinds of funky crap with the signals, brake lights and even the horn. There are 3 sets of contacts that can easily get messed up on the switch. If the problem comes back, disconnect your battery and spray a bunch of electrical contact cleaner in there (I believe on the back side) and work the switch like crazy. I have only had that method fail once.

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what year your truck is but on the 95+ steering column, the red hazard switch can be jammed in such a way as to cause all kinds of funky crap with the signals, brake lights and even the horn. There are 3 sets of contacts that can easily get messed up on the switch. If the problem comes back, disconnect your battery and spray a bunch of electrical contact cleaner in there (I believe on the back side) and work the switch like crazy. I have only had that method fail once.

That works, I pried my switch out and found a contact stuck in, where it is supposed to be out and springy, cleaned it up and popped it back in, though gm says its not a single piece unit

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk 2

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
I hate that stupid thing! I have gone through 3 switches just from that exact problem.