Upgrading Speakers...need some opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97Bowtie1106

it's not a lowrider!!!
Reaction score
Two of my speakers are blown so I figured Id go ahead and swap them all out while Im at it. Im not wanting to go overbored but I want something that will satisfy me. I only listen to rock music so bass really isnt a main concern. Just looking for some opinions from other reg cab guys who have upgraded theres. Ive been out of the audio loop for a couple years so I may need some refreshing.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would start with upgrading to a good aftermarket head unit and a good set of components for the front doors (assuming it's 95+), this alone will make a HUGE improvement! I personally would recommend a set of Kicker KS components, best bang for your buck in my opinion. Then find a good set of plate speakers for the rear pillars; Several manufactures make 4X6 components; Alpine, Boston Acoustics, or make your own plates and use a 4" coaxial speaker. Then it is up to you on if you want your speakers amplified or not.

I am much like you, and listen mostly to Rock and Country so I don't need ground shaking bass. However, adding a decent sub and amp combo will REALLY tie your entire system together. I would recommend a sealed enclosure, built towards the smaller end of the recommended box volume to have more of the punch bass that rock music typically sound best with. Again, I will recommend Kicker for the Sub and Amp(s). Kickers amplifiers are great, DX or ZX series will leave a smile on your face when you turn it up!

Also, UPGRADE YOUR SPEAKER WIRES!! It will make a BIG difference in sound quality, over the stock speaker wire. It's a little more work, but is very very important in any real system. When installing an amplifier, use good quality wire through out. So use braided RCA's, Good quality power wire, have good grounds throughout, I would also recommend doing the "Big-3" ugrade regardless. Also be sure to run the RCA(s) and power wire(s) as far apart as possible, to help ensure no noise gets in the amp signal. And most importantly, once you get everything done; Sit down, and turn it up!!!! :Cheers:

Chevyboy95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
like said,

kicker ks series is awesome, i have a component set and love them.

headunit would be a great upgrade too, and depending on which you get, you can get the HU amplifier (alpine hu's i think) to boost wattage.

16 or 14g speaker wire.

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
Is what I did was run some rockford 4x6 in the front dash, then in the back, where the other 4x6's are supposed to go, I installed some 1" tweeters. Then stuck some 6x9 in boxes under the back seat. Huge improvement. As far as mid's and high's go. For the sub I have a JL W7, in a ported box. Mt head unit is just a Pioneer DEH-1300MP. Under $100 and sounds great IMO.

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but I don't really care for kicker. I like sony more than kicker... IMO, rockford is where it's at.
BUT... Once I ordered a pair of $15 4x6 off amazon.com and they were some of the best sounding speaker's I've heard lol. So who knows?

Brickyard

Reaction score
I had Kenwood components in my Z/28 years back, front and rear and damn, they were just flat out amazing. Added a W3 for a sub and I was good to go.

I need to upgrade the speakers in my truck but it's been to cold to do it in the driveway.

97Bowtie1106

it's not a lowrider!!!
Reaction score
I've been talking to the owner of sundown audio and I think he has convinced me to go with 6.5 neopros in the doors, unhook the 4x6s at my ears, add a tweeter, and a SAX 125.2 amp. I've heard nothing but good about sundown so I figured I'd give it a try

fishstick

Reaction score
ditto what everyone else has said, head unit, wires, speakers but one of the best things I've ever bought was a Kicker TCVT122. 12" (2ohm version) sub that actually fits behind your seat with the seat all the way back (tray removed in mine) and is really impressive for the size. I bought it and a cheap 500 w Alpine mono amp from the pawn shop and it is perfect. My friend actually got the 10" version but with a kicker amp and his sounds awesome as well.

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, you can add bass for pretty cheap. There is also powered subs, with a built in amp. To keep cost down. They are a good alternative as well.