Upgraded Alternator Wiring on 1990 TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kable

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone upgraded the big 3 wiring? I haven't had the truck long since its mainly a play truck but I always upgrade the wiring on anything i own.

I seen the small red wire coming off the alternator but haven't chased it down yet. Looks rather small but i noticed it doesnt run over to the battery positive like many cars and trucks. Anyone done any upgrades on the wiring?

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think people generally upgrade the wire by running one directly to the battery.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I relocated my battery to the bed and what I did was 1/0 awg wire to the alternator to the starter I ran a 4 awg to the distribution block on the firewall than 1/0 awg back the battery the battery ground is also 1/0 awg as well and all the body grounds are 4 awg

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
I'm running 1/0 as well, but on a 96, and I ran the alternator lead strait to the battery. I need to go a little bigger on the fuse box wire, but its working fine for now.

Kable

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so stock is just the little tiny wiring coming off the alt to the fuse box on the firewall. and you upgraded to a 0 from the alt to +batt and upgraded the alt to the firewall as well?