Turning wheel to lock while stopped bogs down engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I'm at a complete stop and turn the steering wheel all the way in either direction, the engine bogs down, almost feels like it is stumbling. I know I am putting more demand on the PS pump and demanding more power, but this seems somewhat excessive. Is this normal, or should I be hunting for the source of lack of low end power? The PS pump was replaced with a reman unit about a month ago, if that helps.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would jack the front tires off the ground and try to turn them by hand. Make sure nothing in the steering or ball joints is binding. Does the wheel return normal when going around a corner?

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would jack the front tires off the ground and try to turn them by hand. Make sure nothing in the steering or ball joints is binding. Does the wheel return normal when going around a corner?
I just recently put new tie rods, idler arm, and pitman arm on, all AC Delco parts. It steers great, wheel returns like it should.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it could just be something going on with the PS pump? I wasn't able to get an AC Delco one, so it is parts store brand.

Lanny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well whats your RPM when you turn all the way? I know when im idling and it hits full lock my RPM might dip to 500 when its in gear. Mine doesn't sound like its going to die. Doesn't sound like an issue with any of the components because as soon as you stop turning the extra load from the friction would be gone. How is the fluid? It might not even be an issue, it could be something wrong with your idle speed. Should be around 650 in park when warm.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well whats your RPM when you turn all the way? I know when im idling and it hits full lock my RPM might dip to 500 when its in gear. Mine doesn't sound like its going to die. Doesn't sound like an issue with any of the components because as soon as you stop turning the extra load from the friction would be gone. How is the fluid? It might not even be an issue, it could be something wrong with your idle speed. Should be around 650 in park when warm.
I'll keep an eye on the RPMs next time I fire it up. It doesn't sounds like it is going to die, but it drops idle enough to where I know it isn't normal. Maybe I'm just over analyzing and it's perfectly fine?

Lanny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll keep an eye on the RPMs next time I fire it up. It doesn't sounds like it is going to die, but it drops idle enough to where I know it isn't normal. Maybe I'm just over analyzing and it's perfectly fine?
Depends on the actual number that its idling at. Wont know till we know.