Turbo Charging Cali Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thewedge

Reaction score
I just put a 5.3 out of a 2005 Suburban into my 90' C 1500 pick-up truck. I was wondering if I was to turbo charge it, would the turbo cause me any problems at the smog station. We have to get a smog check every 2 yrs. Its a daily driver and I was just wondering if it was worth looking into or just be happy with what I have?

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
I just put a 5.3 out of a 2005 Suburban into my 90' C 1500 pick-up truck. I was wondering if I was to turbo charge it, would the turbo cause me any problems at the smog station. We have to get a smog check every 2 yrs. Its a daily driver and I was just wondering if it was worth looking into or just be happy with what I have?
The last I've heard of a CARB legal turbo was from STS... but I could be wrong. Unfortunately I don't think they make a kit for a 5.3L 2005 Suburban. Chances are the second the SMOG person pops the hood they'll immediately see the turbos, look for a CARB EO#, not see one, and send you away... unless you have certain connections.

Assuming that you've completed the steps to a swap engines, another route you could go with is the CARB complaint ProCharger P-1SC. I know it's not a turbo, but it is 8-9psi of boost. Here's the first link I found: http://treperformance.com/i-2175263...MIo76Qurvz1QIVCW5-Ch2w_ARcEAQYAiABEgIOKPD_BwE

Being that it is a DD, I think it'd be nicer to constantly be in boost rather than having to whine out the motor to spool a turbo (or turbos). But yet again, that's just my opinion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thewedge

Reaction score
Sorry I'm so late with my reply. Got some very bad Family news that needed attention. Anyway, thanks for the reply and giving me that link to that Pro charger. I'l have to save some extra bucks cuz' that puppy is right in the neighborhood of about five grand. But I think that's do able. Turbo was my first thought until what you said about the Smog Station and that EO sticker. I hate the Smog rules in California. They make you jump through all kinds of hoops just to get a little HP.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Sorry I'm so late with my reply. Got some very bad Family news that needed attention. Anyway, thanks for the reply and giving me that link to that Pro charger. I'l have to save some extra bucks cuz' that puppy is right in the neighborhood of about five grand. But I think that's do able. Turbo was my first thought until what you said about the Smog Station and that EO sticker. I hate the Smog rules in California. They make you jump through all kinds of hoops just to get a little HP.
No worries man, I hope everything is doing well for you.

I think the pro charger is one of the only CARB approved forced induction systems out there, aside from Magnacharger and Whipple. Here are a couple links to them if you're interested: http://m.autoanything.com/superchargers-turbochargers-intercoolers/61A6085A0A0.aspx

http://autoanything.com/superchargers-turbochargers-intercoolers/61A6045A0A0.aspx

I hear you man, the SMOG laws make it difficult for us to do what we want with our vehicles... Furthermore, the SMOG equipment equipped in our trucks rob power from it. I hate the SMOG rules also..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk