True dual on 95 tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superchevyguy93

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi i was reading that you supposedly cant run true dual on a 95 k1500 5.7l is this true? If not does anyone have a true dual setup on their 95? Videos/sound clips would be appreciated.... thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
There is no reason that true duals can not be run on any V-8 or V-6 engine. It is just a matter of how much time and money you are willing to spend. I have true duels on my 97 Vortec. It is a 5.7 L (350), but it was an easy convert. I had 2 exhaust pipes going into 1 big muffler. I removed that muffler, and replaced it with 2 old school glass packs, and built a second tail pipe to go around my spare tire and come out on the drivers side of my receiver hitch, so I now have 2 pipes coming out of the back of then truck, one on each side of my receiver. You will have an exhaust pipe coming out of each exhaust manifold. They may run into 1 exhaust pipe with a Y pipe, but that could be changed out with 2 pipes. If you are going to go to all that trouble to do a true dual conversion, I would recommend installing an X pipe just before the mufflers. An X pipe will give a scavenging effect that will help pull the exhaust through the pipes. Also shorty headers will help on the take off power the truck has, and they are a direct replacement for you stock exhaust manifolds. Sorry I don't have any more pics to post for you, but if you go to www.gmtruckclub.com you can pull up my truck there and see the 2 glass packs by looking at my profile, and clicking on my pics there.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Big difference between your '97 and his '95 - the Vortec trucks already have the makings for a dual system since there are 2 down pipes each with its own post-cat O2 sensor. TBI engines just have a Y-pipe with a single O2 sensor. If you dual it out, your O2 is just monitoring 1 bank, which probably isn't a major issue in most cases.

For some reason true duals tend to sound a little crappy on the TBI's. I wonder if a good plan with the duals would be to use an X or H pipe and mount it close to the front, and run the O2 up there too. The X or H would balance out the sound and also give you a convenient place to monitor all the exhaust gas with the single O2.

Richard

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
TBI only have an O2 sensor in front of the cats, and not a down stream sensor,.or that is how my 1993 was. The TBI uses the OBD 1 system,.where the Vortec uses an OBD 2 system. The OBD 2 has more sensors and is more complex, but is programmable, where the OBD 1 takes a chip to change it performance. This was the diffrence in my 93, and my 97 anyway. Like Richard says, if there is only 1 O2 sensor then he has a good idea. Do an X pipe and install the O2 sensor at the X pipe. This should see all the exhaust and work correctly, but this is just an educated guess.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty sure you misunderstood me completely but that's OK. :) I never said TBI's have a downstream (post-cat) O2 sensor.

Richard

superchevyguy93

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big difference between your '97 and his '95 - the Vortec trucks already have the makings for a dual system since there are 2 down pipes each with its own post-cat O2 sensor. TBI engines just have a Y-pipe with a single O2 sensor. If you dual it out, your O2 is just monitoring 1 bank, which probably isn't a major issue in most cases.

For some reason true duals tend to sound a little crappy on the TBI's. I wonder if a good plan with the duals would be to use an X or H pipe and mount it close to the front, and run the O2 up there too. The X or H would balance out the sound and also give you a convenient place to monitor all the exhaust gas with the single O2.

Richard
See and thats what i was thinking is an h pipe and putting the o2 in the h but i thought it had to be before the cat?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It does need to be before the cat. That's why I was talking about moving the X or H farther up towards the front of the truck. You're building the whole system from the manifolds or headers back, so...

Richard

superchevyguy93

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
true true i may just do the shorty headers and a magnaflow y pipe with cat on it and then into a 3 inch pipe into a muffler then out into duals like i have now except now ill have headers and a high flow cat so a little more power? any thoughts?

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree with Richard, just remember this an X pipe works a lot better than an H pipe does. Either of these would need to be infront of the cats, unless you don't put cats back in the system, if you can still pass your state inspection. Most states will fail a vehicle with no cats, unless it came like that form the factory, like a classic.

Last edited:

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have true duals and high flow "xcelerator" mufflers on my 90 with a 350. It sounds really good, and much tougher than it really is lol.