Truck jerking mid gear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey all, first post on this forum and happy to be here. I've replaced my engine, trans and rear since getting this truck at the beginning of the year, all work done by me and a buddy of mine.

I'm almost positive it was an issue BEFORE any of the work I've done, but my truck jerks mid RPM and usually in 3rd gear or around 40mph.. It's almost like slack in my drive train. I don't think my RPM's drop or it slips out of gear and it's not shifting hard.

New U joints, trans rebuilt less than 20k miles ago, 350 engine runs on all 8. Let me know what you guys think!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Connect a scan tool, watch the data stream for issues when the problem occurs.

I was thinking "torque converter clutch" until you said the RPM doesn't drop.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check basics 1st, this happened to me when I replaced my radiator a few weeks ago and it leaked a little tranny fluid. I added a little and I did check it and it seemed ok but I drove and it occasionally jerked mid gear. So I let it run for about 30 mins checked it and it was low, about a quart later it was fine no more jerking.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ever since I put my engine back in, I've had what appears to be real harsh tc lockup. Only if you're on the gas. I've gotten good at anticipating when it's gonna lock so I'll back off the gas right before it does it and its hardly noticeable. But sometimes if I'm not expecting it it'll be a stout jerk. Not sure if it's staying locked up like it should either. Didn't have any issues with it before. Not really sure what the issue is.
Lowest speed it'll do it at is 45, which I'm assuming is the lowest speed the computer will lock it up at.
Not sure if this is the same thing y'all are experiencing.