Truck completely fell on its face

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So last night on my way home from work me and my buddy were having some friendly competitions red light to red light. Well anyways at the first one I just completely stomped on it and it started to take off and then like the power cut off so I let out of the gas and eased into it and it drove fine. Wtf? Lol.

The truck is a 97 5.7 vortec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Likely either your fuel pump, or fuel filter being plugged.

Had a '95 Caprice that was like this. Just an absolute DOG to accelerate. Had to floor it to accelerate moderately. In order to start it, had to turn the key forward, then back, then forward again, then back, then start it. Dad drove it like this for years until I got it.

Put a new fuel filter in, it started on the first revolution, every time. Damn impressive.

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It doesn't drive too bad. It does have starting issues sometimes but I think it's starter related. It will sometimes start right up. Other times it will drag really bad.

Ill try a fuel filter though. I'm getting crappy gas mileage so it can't hurt!

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Changed your filter yet?

Just did mine, it was marked "8/96 -16,900", so it was 16 years old, and had 115,000 miles worth of crap in there.

The difference is amazing, this truck will straight up book now. I bet I'll get better gas mileage too....

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Power died how? Did it fall flat on it's face but RPM climbed? It might just be torque management.

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No I need to change the filter.

What is torque management? Lol.

semiguy409

The Big Rigger
Reaction score
Mine did the same damn thing, and now it won't start! I am guessing its the pump. Any ideas on this guys? It will turn over and occationally fire. When it is running it runs great except at high rpm's then it starts cutting out. I can't even get it to fully turn over right now. I am guessing that it needs a new fuel pump to push the fuel into the motor better because with the cold weather the fuel isn't as easy to get to the motor. Really needing ideas on this guys!!! Think a filter will fix it?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Not cranking over has nothing to do with the fuel, though your fuel pump does sound weak. Put a really good charge on your battery.

-Via Mobile-

jmc1997ck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's something trivial, how much gas was in the tank? When I get down to close to empty, any hard acceleration pushes all the fuel back away from the pick-up causing a bad stutter and loss of power.