truck bounces like wheels come off the ground like "hops" stock suspention, PLZ HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
<bgcolor="000000">i have a 1997 2door 4x4 yukonGT with 191,000 miles. I've had this truck since 56k miles around 11or12 years now. i need to get this thing put back together and ALL THE HELP I CAN GET will be most appriciated!
ok so when im driving the truck on surface streets, when i got over bumps or rough parts on the road or from manholes or whatever, the truck seems like its a solid, no movement suspention that just bounces over. it seems like the wheels come off the road while im going over the bumps and whatnot and i sometimes have to regain control over some of the obsticles i drive over its so bad. Also my steering seems like its toasted! there is SO much play in the wheel and when im on the freeway the steering its a challenge to keep going in your lane at 60-75mph. Im a soon to be student for auto mechanics starting this summer and any knoghlege at all is great!

let me know if u need more details or ect.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you jacked up your truck to check for worn out front end parts? Idler/pitman arms and TRE's?

Does the truck have any torsion bar crank? That could explain the rough ride, even though yours sounds extreme.

Worn steering boxes will cause for alot of steering play too.

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
You Sir- seem to be suffering from worn Pitman/Idler arms. It's very common on the IFS trucks.

I'm at 182k and I've just replaced ALL front-end steering components (including steering box).

-Truckin-

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Id say you need new shocks and a serious going through of all your steering/front end parts. Id try to put as little mileage as you can on it, sounds dangerous.

Reaction score
would you know or have a list of all the front end parts that would envolve my situation? yeah, the front end has not had a thing done to it since it was purchase long ago.

as for the parts....
i have the push button 4x4 which i dont think even works anymore. just thought u might need to know.

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
If you do it I would do it all while you have it apart especially at 190000+
upper and lower ball joints
inner and outer tie rod ends
tie rod adjustment sleeves
idler arm
pitman arm
May consider sway link connector bars (depending on how bad they are rusted through
Shocks would also be something to look into

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you do it I would do it all while you have it apart especially at 190000+
upper and lower ball joints
inner and outer tie rod ends
tie rod adjustment sleeves
idler arm
pitman arm
May consider sway link connector bars (depending on how bad they are rusted through
Shocks would also be something to look into

X2 ^^^^ thats a good list. As for your 4x4, check to see wheather or not your 4x4 actuator works. Its on your front axle.

Reaction score
thanks for the list.

also over the years people have also told me its the bushings located in the front, been told alignment is just off...so i wanna confirm, for the mileage on my truck & whats happening while driving, its likely its time to just replace front suspenion finally?

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
Well after you replace all of the parts I listed you will want a good alignment done

You could look at bushings and see how bad they are warn
If you do bushings do a polyurathane (from what I have heard they are one of the better materials out there)