Truck acting up again. Electrical.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After the ordeal of the ignition control module. I am now having troubles with something else.

-Today I was going to move the truck into the garage where I could change my fuel filter and change my ICM because I have new ones. Not long ago I started it up to run for a bit. The starter was making these wretched sounds when starting, and was also not engaging. Eventually after 4-5 turns of the key it engaged and started.
The sounds from the starter were grinding sounds, and also sound of the gear not engaging and just spinning. (There are 2 different sounds at different times)

-I then turned it off so I could take a video of it not working so I could show you. It started first time, second time it did not engage. and 3rd time I tried all of a sudden ALL of my electrical wont work. I looked at the battery posts and cables were fine.

In the video it only shows the sound that it is spinning, it does not show when it grinds away.
Here is the clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZK5FqML8qQ&feature=youtu.be

I am probably needing a new starter, but what is up with the noises and the truck going dead with no power (Electric)? I will check it out later, but any ideas would be VERY appreciated.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Most likely the starter went bad and took something with it. Check the fusible link or links and fuses. Its also possible the battery died from excessive draw from the starter. Check for voltage at the fuses boxes.

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a new starter today (Not reman), and had planned on getting a starter even before this happened. Where is the fusible link/links, and is the fuse panel below steering wheel on the dash? What do I have to look for?

ernjohn

Reaction score
If you can, load test the battery.

Check the smaller gauge (10-14) power wire(s) from the battery -> junction block/computer/underhood fuse panel for continuity or for power, if the battery is good and still connected.

It's been a few years since I had a tbi truck so my memory of exact wiring on them is a bit fuzzy.

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Going to see this Sunday about the wiring, also get the parts changed after we get it pushed into the garage.

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
I have a new starter today (Not reman), and had planned on getting a starter even before this happened. Where is the fusible link/links, and is the fuse panel below steering wheel on the dash? What do I have to look for?

there is a fuse block on the fire wall under the dash, had same issue when i took apart one of my window switches and a wire touched something it shouldnt have. the fix for mine was a $2 fusible link

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, finally have time this morning to get working on the truck. Change starter and look at the wiring; what fuses/fusible links should I be checking as the problem?

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, fixed it today. Turns out after replacing the starter that was the problem for having no power. No fuses were blown.