1997 gmc yukon idle acting up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Opening the intake and oil was everywhere. Little pools everywhere. How could this happen? I've never seen oil in there like that. The intake was throughly cleaned before install. Pretty sure that's one of the issue with everything I'm experiencing. Ima clean it again and run the injectors to make sure they're not leaking

Attachments

• 20231209_200231.jpg
    20231209_200231.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231209_200352.jpg
    20231209_200352.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231209_200404.jpg
    20231209_200404.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20231209_200409.jpg
    20231209_200409.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 7

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ran the injectors no leaks good news on that. There's a plug under the injectors on the intake manifold was wondering if that's were the oil is coming from. See it full of oil

Attachments

• 20231209_205250.jpg
    20231209_205250.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20231209_205545.jpg
    20231209_205545.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 6

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Remove the lower intake found more oil just sitting in the valves. No wonder my injectors were trying to compensate fuel. What I don't understand is how if any, could there be blowby? The engine is suppose to be remanufactured don't even have more than 1000 miles since install. I also ran air through the egr tube inside to make sure they were not clogged. They were not. I've tested everything in my pcv system and everything is good. The pcv hose is new. The pcv valve I ordered when I got the new hose. I even bought a duralast pcv to see if it make a difference it didnt. The only thing I found suspect was where the pcv valve hose goes to one of the outlets where the secondary hose goes to was somewhat clogged with little ball of carbon. I circled it on the picture. But that hose goes to the vacuum of the heater door if I'm not mistaken to the firewall. Would that be causing the oil to do that

Attachments

• 20231209_224021.jpg
    20231209_224021.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So bad news and good news. Bad news it ima be returning my engine. I suspect I was sold a engine that was not properly built. I've found so many problems with the engine. I've had non stop leaks, knocking and rattling. To tell you I've tooken it apart about 7 times now since I purchased it which is about 3 months ago. Word to the wise don't trust ATK engines there own warranty technicians told me they reuse alot parts on these engines. I've already seen a bunch of miss matched parts. Good news is I just found out GM still sells brand new crates for these and unlike the ATK engine that the valves weren't even adjusted these are ready to go just prime the engine and it's good to go. And it's brand new not used or remanufactured. Guess the lesson here is don't go the cheap route

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am no fan of "production-line" rebuilt engines.

I am wondering how you can return an engine that's been "tooken apart" seven times. Aren't they suspicious of you "tampering" with it?

Good luck. The GM crate engines aren't all perfect, either...but at least they've got real, live warranty support in most towns.

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe the
I am no fan of "production-line" rebuilt engines.

I am wondering how you can return an engine that's been "tooken apart" seven times. Aren't they suspicious of you "tampering" with it?

Good luck. The GM crate engines aren't all perfect, either...but at least they've got real, live warranty support in most towns.
I wanted something cheap fast at the time but now I know why it's so cheap. Well the ATK warranty company was the one that told me to do all these things to the engine to try n figure out what was wrong. So essentially they already know I took it apart cuz they paid for all the parts I replaced. And since the engine is literally like 3 months old since I purchased from autozone. Autozone would either give me a replacement or my money back. An I don't want a replacement cuz I don't trust them anymore. If they just half ass these engines together than I doubt the replacement would be any better

Yeah but at least the gm one is brand new not rebuilt. And yeah like you said it's warrantied straight from GM for 3 years or 100,000 miles. And the gm one is essentially ready to go all i have to do is prime it. The ATK one the valves weren't adjusted and didn't come with the balancer. The gm one comes from gm performance and is a 4 bolt main. My original block was a 2 bolt main. So it's an upgrade.
I'll be keeping you guys posted the whole process.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231210_123417_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231210_123417_Chrome.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 12

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's warrantied straight from GM for 3 years or 100,000 miles.
READ THE WARRANTY TERMS. You may find out that the warranty is shorter if a GM dealer or other "professional" does not install the engine, or if certain accessory items are not replaced at the same time--radiator, oil cooler, etc.

If the engine is not a "GM verified fitment" into your vehicle, the warranty may be shorter as well.

I haven't looked into this in years. Point is...do your homework before you buy the thing.

The gm one comes from gm performance and is a 4 bolt main. My original block was a 2 bolt main. So it's an upgrade.
2-bolt mains to 4-bolt mains is not much of an upgrade in 80% of actual usage.

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
READ THE WARRANTY TERMS. You may find out that the warranty is shorter if a GM dealer or other "professional" does not install the engine, or if certain accessory items are not replaced at the same time--radiator, oil cooler, etc.

If the engine is not a "GM verified fitment" into your vehicle, the warranty may be shorter as well.

I haven't looked into this in years. Point is...do your homework before you buy the thing.

2-bolt mains to 4-bolt mains is not much of an upgrade in 80% of actual usage.
Yeah I always do. When I called and asked they said the warranty still covers even if you install it. Only thing is they won't pay for labor and stuff if you have to remove it or disassemble it. But they will cover any parts. Which is basically the same as the engine I bought from ATK. Good thing is we already verified that it's a direct fitment for my 97.
As far as the 4 bolt main I just wanted a stronger engine that I can later either add a procharger or some turbos. Also I haul alot with it. Mainly classics we buy that we haul.But it's an upgrade for me and peace of mind

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231211_233244_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20231211_233244_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 2