Transmission Rebuild or Replace

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

puckhead

Reaction score
Gonna sound like a ratard but...how hard to drop the tranny and rebuild? Never done anything close to it. Do I have to pull the engine? All day project? Weekend? Week? lol

I have a 92 with a 5 speed and it is very particular on how it shifts. Little bit of click when going into 3rd and grinding when down shifting to 2nd. I do hear the tranny while in neutral or lower gears.

Or would it be a clutch issue?? Never had a standard before. I have to push the clutch to the floor for it not to grind.

Any advice?

Thanks!

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be clutch, slave cylinder, or air in the clutch line. Try there first before pulling it apart. Manual transmissions are somewhat complicated if you have never touched one before. Your truck could be down for weeks waiting on parts and getting it apart, assessing, then rebuilding. Start with the easiest things first and go from there.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
The clutch line probably needs bled, and you may want to drain the fluid and be sure when you refill it that its the correct fluid for your trans. They can be very particular about what oil is in them.

puckhead

Reaction score
Thanks guys I will check it out. Noticing more things as well. Clutch all the way down and cant get it in reverse. Almost bounces off the gear. Cant down shift to second without grinding unless I am going very slow. Clicks when up shifting into 3rd.

Dumb question. How do I figure out what kind of transmission I have? Its a '92 5 speed.

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like a clutch issue to me. Possibly bad slave or worn pressure plate. Try pumping the clutch pedal a few times and see if it shifts easier........although this may not tell you much