Transmission Grinds When Shifting to Reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
kevrobster as heavycheavy said for the most part the reverse is non syncronized but from what manuals ive had a part ive also noticed that the reverse gear is a straight cut gear as well someone correct me if im wrong but that seems to me it would cause problems

This is correct, but if the clutch disengages properly, it should not grind.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A throwout bearing would cause noise when depressing the clutch, but it does nothing to make it difficult to shift into reverse.

Your clutch hydraulics have air in the system. Inspect your current hydraulics. If they aren't leaking you can just bleed the slave cylinder - most people report it taking a long time and a crapload of pumping to get all the air out. If the hydraulics are leaking you can buy pre-bled hydraulics and replace the entire system for four bolts and less than $100.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A throwout bearing would cause noise when depressing the clutch, but it does nothing to make it difficult to shift into reverse.
Yup.
Your clutch hydraulics have air in the system.
Maybe.

Could also be a warped clutch disc. Clutch mechanism isn't designed to open up a gap big enough to allow the warped disc to not drag. Fairly common, really. Grinding into Reverse is the first symptom for most folks.

I've test-driven a vehicle with clutch disc so warped that I COULD NOT move the shift lever out of one gear to put it in another gear if the engine was running. Clutch pedal pushed to the carpet, two hand on the shift lever. Lady was towing a livestock trailer at the time, which is probably the only reason the truck didn't creep forward with the clutch pushed-in. Not only did we (Dealership service department) have to warranty the clutch, we had to dick with the trailer--disconnect and park the thing--before we could get the truck in the service bay.

You can guess how bad the flywheel and pressure plate were.