Transmission fluid in my radiator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krisj

Reaction score
well if tranny fluid was getting in the radiator, coolant would be in the tranny. I'm still betting something to do with mixing coolants incorrectly. as far as the transmission goes check the rear seal for leaks, common leak and cheap to fix

sent from the eskanalierra lol

I was wondering where the loss of fluid came from and rear seal makes sense. I haven't been seeing any other evidence of a leak like spots on the driveway or anything, probably leaks while under pressure and running down the road. My son had a 1991 Suburban 1500 5.7 and he was losing fluid due to chafed cooler lines. The chafing was barely visible.
Anywho, my point is I'm gonna monitor and track down where that ATF is going.

Last edited:

krisj

Reaction score
I checked underneath my truck today and found my newly rebuilt 4l60E is definitely leaking from the rear seal. Also, getting weird behavior from the transmission. This transmission only has a little over 3,000 miles on it since the rebuild. 1st gear feels like it's revving up too high(RPM seems too high for the actual speed) and shifts to 2nd at about 3,000 rpm. Fuel mileage seems to have dropped some also. I just spent $1200 on this transmission... F!!!

I pulled the codes using the AB shorting pin from Auto Zone and got a code 38(Brake input circuit fault - Torque converter clutch signal)

Also, the cooling system will be replaced tomorrow because of the Dex Cool fiasco.

Last edited:

krisj

Reaction score
Update:
Alright fellas, here goes. I converted my truck back to good ole green coolant with an entirely new cooling system to get rid of the Dexcool sludge. So no more of that...

Now, I have identified a leak at the cooling lines where they connect to the radiator. Aren't there supposed to be o-rings where the flair fittings in the radiator?

krisj

Reaction score
Leaking at the trans line inputs?

Yes, at the top one specifically. I put a little plumber's tape on the threads and tightened it pretty well. It is leaking a little tranny fluid into the new radiator from that top connection.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I would get a universal cooler, some nylon line and some steel to nylon compression fittings. The universal cooler we added to my mother in laws bb ford dually really helped with towing heat. Way better than the stock internal cooler setup like yours. And it was only $50 from advanced. Mounted it in front of the radiator.

krisj

Reaction score
I would get a universal cooler, some nylon line and some steel to nylon compression fittings. The universal cooler we added to my mother in laws bb ford dually really helped with towing heat. Way better than the stock internal cooler setup like yours. And it was only $50 from advanced. Mounted it in front of the radiator.

Thanks bud, that makes perfect sense to me; best idea I've heard yet. I'll do the universal cooler next and I guess I ought to do a 12 qt. transmission flush as well due to cross contamination. Hopefully, that will get my transmission acting right again also.