Transmission and Transfer case fitment and ID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hellbound

Reaction score
Good Morning,

I am looking at picking up a tranny and transfer case to fit my 98 K1500 to build up and eventually swap into my truck. There just came available a tranny and transfercase out of a 97 yukon.

1- will these parts compatible with my truck (providing it is a 4L60E)

2- Arer there ways to ID the tranny type and transfercase? They are out of the Yukon and the rest of the truck is long gone so can't use the RPO codes to tell what they are.

Thanks

Mike

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Yes. All of the 4l60's from 96-98 will work for your truck. The pan will have 16 bolts, input shaft will be 30 splines, 4 bolt tail housing. GM moved the code in later years to the bottom of the case near the back where the tail housing bolts on, right behind where it mounts up. I believe the first digit is a number, and that should tell you the year. I'm pretty sure all the 4l60's used during that time were the same, with exception of the torque convertor up front. I could be off, maybe someone else can chime in.

Oh, and the transfer case will have a metal tag riveted onto the case that will tell you what it is.