Transfer Case Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTBrotz

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I have searched all over and can't find a satisfactory answer to my question. I have a 1996 K2500 with a 5 speed and a manual transfer case. The other day I got stuck on some ice while at a stop sign. I put the truck in 4 wheel drive, but due to the ice was unable to drive forward and as a result could not get it to engage. Is that normal with these trucks? Do you have to be able to drive forward to engage the front hubs? Thanks for your help!

MIKE BROGDON

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When was the last time it did work? Did your light on the shifter light up? If your 4WD did not engage, it is most likely the 4wd Actuator or the transfercase switch.

These trucks use a thermal actuator that usually takes a couple seconds for it to get hot enough to release the piston action to lock your front diff. If your switch is bad it wont send a signal for your actuator to engage. Heres what worked for me..

I knew my actuator was bad so I got a new one from auto zone. With the new one plugged in hanging down but not inserted in the diff i shifted into 4wd and saw it still didnt work. I changed the tcase switch by using a 1 1/8 wrench and unplugging the harness to it. Once the new one was in I shifted into 4wd and it was good. There are two switches if I remember right. The one to change is the closest one the front of the tranny.

Of course the if you have $150.00 laying around the best way to have a more reliable 4wd is go with the 4x4 posi lock. It uses mechanical front diff acutuation rather than the crappy thermal one. Hope this helps.

MTBrotz

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Thanks for the replys. My 4WD does engage, but I need to be able to drive forward for it to do so. With the posi-lock when you pull the knob are you good to go? We got some snow this week and the roads were slick so I pulled it into 4WD and probably went half a block before it engaged. If I had been stuck when I pulled the lever, and thereby unable to move forward, it would not have engaged and I would have needed to be pulled out. If that is how it is supposed to work it seems like a design flaw.

MIKE BROGDON

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm thats a first for me hearing about having to roll foward for it to engage. Then again ive never had my truck in ice cold weather before either (71 here in FL). Maybe someone who has can chime in. Really the whole thermal system itself is a design flaw. The Posi Lock is the way to go. Once its in your good, you control when your diff engages through the cab of the truck.

In my opinion its the next best thing to manual locking hubs. Youtube posi lock reviews Look for a video by teddysprojects and it will show you how fast it locks in.