Transfer case clicking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dawg77

Reaction score
Have a 97 Sierra 4wd push button 4wd. Problem is, it will not shift at all, 4wd light just flashes on low. When in park the encoder motor just keeps clicking even does it with the key out of the ignition. All fuses good, have tried new tccm , new encoder motor, new push button controller on dash and new acuator motor on front diff, new ecu and fluids are full. Anyone had this happen? Any ideas?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The transfer case in my Trailblazer died; wouldn't shift out of 2WD. Shop removed encoder motor, tried to shift it manually--jammed solid, wouldn't move.

Apparently, a common problem. There's a snap-ring that breaks or pops out of it's groove. There's an aftermarket upgrade kit to solve the problem.

I didn't know any of that. The shop replaced the transfer case with a GM rebuilt; which was defective, so then they replaced it again under GM warranty. Works great. I have the original sitting in the GM shipping pallet out in the barn. Someday I'll open it up and see what's really wrong with it.