Trans Swap Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Hey guys.

So I finally got the 4L80e in. Took it to a shop and had them modify the crossmember mounts, wiring, and put the trans in.

Problem is, it runs like poop.

I got the tune and wiring schematics from Wester's Garage. I've triple checked them, and all the wiring matches up with how they say it should be. I took a datalog today and here's what's going on.

First, the trans is in limp mode. Takes off in 2nd gear. Reverse works fine, but drive has issues. I was letting it idle, to pick up speed, and at about 8 mph, the slip RPM's for the torque converter suddenly went from 200 RPM to NEGATIVE 500?! The truck shook pretty bad and almost died, so I stopped. I threw it in Reverse and backed it into the driveway. Don't want to break anything.

Anyone have any ideas? I've sent all the info and that datalog to Wester's, so we'll see what they say, just wanted to send this out and try to get some ideas. I appreciate the help, I can't wait to get this thing running.

dillhamm

Reaction score
I had a similar problem and it ended up being the ignition swich. It controls about everything in our trucks

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it isn't the ignition switch, since it was fine before the swap. It's something to do with the wiring or the tune. Just need to find out what exactly isn't working right, and why.

Anyone with any ideas, let me know. I'm calling Wester's on Monday with a new datalog that I'll be sending. Hopefully that will shed some light on it.