Trans leak at rear of tranny?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kemo sabe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a leak at the rear of my Trans. It's near where the driveshaft and the trans meet up. Anyone have any input or this problem before?

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
I'm not real versed on transmissions, but I would guess you need to replace your output shaft seal.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I'm not real versed on transmissions, but I would guess you need to replace your output shaft seal.

:word: Output shaft seal. While under the trans, you might want to check the bolts on your transmission pan, just to make sure they're all snug and you aren't leaking from there as well.

I was looking at replacing that seal a while back, and it didn't look too bad.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
:word: Output shaft seal. While under the trans, you might want to check the bolts on your transmission pan, just to make sure they're all snug and you aren't leaking from there as well.

I was looking at replacing that seal a while back, and it didn't look too bad.

:word: output seal sounds like the problem. Easy to replace too. Did my tcase one awhile back.

kemo sabe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would I have to pull the trans? Or can just take the drive shaft out and change the seal? I too am not well versed with transmissions.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
Would I have to pull the trans? Or can just take the drive shaft out and change the seal? I too am not well versed with transmissions.

it's really just as easy as pulling the driveshaft popping out the old seal and putting the new one in. the seals are pressed in so I usually just work the old one out carefully with a screwdriver, then use like a rubber malet to carefully put the new one in.... it's just like putting a dust cap on a front spindle or anything like that :cheers:

sent from the c1500 Denali

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Make sure you chock the front wheels, put the truck in neutral and put the rearend on jack stands so the rear wheels will spin. Also you will drop out a little transmission fluid, so have a pan ready to catch it. These steps will help out the job.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
Make sure you chock the front wheels, put the truck in neutral and put the rearend on jack stands so the rear wheels will spin. Also you will drop out a little transmission fluid, so have a pan ready to catch it. These steps will help out the job.

good call hunter!

sent from the c1500 Denali

kemo sabe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Do you know if the parts stores usually carry the seal or would I need to order it from somewhere?

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Do you know if the parts stores usually carry the seal or would I need to order it from somewhere?

Yeah they should have it. Weather or not they give you the correct part or even know what your talking about, now that's another story!