Trans going out, need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ald94

Reaction score
Hey all, I am new to the site like many others here. Hopeing to find some help in locateing a good company to order a trans from.

I have a 94 silverado, 350 with a 4L60E trans with 120k on the odometer. I was home on R&R from Iraq and noticed the trans starting to slip. Now I know that the previous owner didnt take care of the truck like they should have, and after inspecting the fluid I KNOW they did'nt. Trans fluid looked like burnt engine oil! So I took it down and had a shop flush the trans to get me thru my R&R. Now that I am back overseas I am trying to research and locate a good shop to buy a mildly built trans from. Any Ideas who to go with, I have found a shop in AZ called BOWTIE OVERDRIVES that seems to be good from what I have heard. I live in Central Cali hopein to find a shop close to home. Price really doesnt matter, I want a RELIABLE and STRONG trans. Also looking for a smog legal( stupid Cali emissions) 350 to slap in the truck too, somewere round 300-375 horse. Any info would be great thanks!

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Best thing to do is to ask around locally. I am sure you will find a good shop that will provide a good price and give you a warranty.

ald94

Reaction score
I have checked around with a couple of local places, and they are all quoteing me around 2,000 to rebuild it with a shift kit. It seems to be less to just buy one from online. Just weighing my options, I'd like to get one from online but I know absolutely nothin about trannys. So any idea what to go with?

lance

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Moster transmissions did have trannys with shift kit an tq. converter for $1,300 out the door an you don't have to pay shipping an comes with a lifetime warrenty just a thought this is the route i'm going they have differnert level's of tranny's level1, level2, an level3 i'm going with level2 an they say it will hold up to 600hp. an abuse.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That sucks. The local shop here charges 1800 out the door installed. Takes them 1 day, they already have rebuilt trannys in house. Comes with a 2 year nationwide warranty. I have used this place twice and never regretted it.

If that 2000 is installed thats not a bad deal.

ald94

Reaction score
The 2000 is for the rebuild and shift kit, its another 500 to remove and install. I think I am just goin to order one off line, I prefer to do my own wrenching, just never rebuilt a tranny before. I only paid 2k for the truck, so buyin a new trans doesnt bother me really. I drive the hell out of my truck whenever I am home so I need one that will take the abuse of a heavy right foot LOL.