Towing with qjet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88ChevyMan

Reaction score
Getting ready to swap a 750 Quadrabog on the old tow pig and im wondering, anyone got any experience with them evaporating the bowl out and vapor locking? Ive heard that it can be an issue at times and id prefer to not get stranded waiting for it cool off and re-prime

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Getting ready to swap a 750 Quadrabog on the old tow pig and im wondering, anyone got any experience with them evaporating the bowl out and vapor locking? Ive heard that it can be an issue at times and id prefer to not get stranded waiting for it cool off and re-prime

Yes it is an issue. I put a TBI tank, in-tank pump and bypass regulator on my 83 G20 as well as a 1" carb spacer to help alleviate the issue. If it was shut off really hot, put the accelerator to the floor before cranking it over. The fuel perculates into the manifold and floods it out.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm gonna reveal my ignorance and lack of gasser information here. I thought the whole "vapor lock" was only an issue with the stock intake manifolds that had egr in the manifold? I personally never ran the manifolds with egr and never had vapor lock. I've seen vapor lock on stock egr manifolds with qjet. I'd enjoy hearing from more learned individuals who can speak more knowledgeable on this.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna reveal my ignorance and lack of gasser information here. I thought the whole "vapor lock" was only an issue with the stock intake manifolds that had egr in the manifold? I personally never ran the manifolds with egr and never had vapor lock. I've seen vapor lock on stock egr manifolds with qjet. I'd enjoy hearing from more learned individuals who can speak more knowledgeable on this.
Ah, finally a thread that's in my purview.
Vapor lock has *always* been an issue with carburetors- under certain conditions. Some are worse than others, some installations are worse than others. The main problem with carburetors TODAY is the fuel itself. Ethanol fuels evaporate the light components (those most easily ignited) much more quickly than 40 years ago, making vapor lock almost certain in 'stock' applications. Have you ever had a lawn mower (or old car) that had fuel showing, spark and compression yet simply wouldn't fire? It's possible with modern fuels to be left with only liquid that won't light at all. So.
With a current carburetor install there are a couple things critical and a couple things desirable. First, you simply can't have any intake manifold heating via exhaust. Preferred is an intake with free air below the runners, slowing heat soak from the engine valley. A carb spacer, particularly a good quality phenolic spacer will also help. Routing the fuel lines as far from the exhaust manifolds as possible is helpful- TBI trucks' stock fuel lines aren't bad. Using a return-to-tank regulator as close to the carb inlet as convenient helps keep fuel cooler. A heat reflective plate between carb and manifold rejects engine bay heat. I am not a fan of hood scoops, but any fresh air or ventilation around the carb is a plus even if the stock intake is kept. I had a friend who actually trimmed his fan shroud at the passenger side top to let more air come out over the top of the engine. Lastly, treat your carburetor like you would a turbocharger- don't come off the turnpike and shut the engine off without giving it 30 seconds or a minute to cool down.
I don't think there is any 'magic bullet' combination where vapor lock is never a consideration but you can certainly make it an infrequent annoyance that you can know the particular circumstances that bring it about and avoid them or mitigate them.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pressureangle, that is great info, and makes alot of sense. I completely forgot about today's gas being the ethanol mix that would facilitate vapor lock. Yes, I once had an old john deere 110 riding mower that always got "the vapors". It was so bad it would shut down while running. I installed a good sized coil of copper tubing at the air inlet for the flywheel, cured that issue! So, what you're saying about fuel line routing does make sense.
I'm remembering how our machine shop guy was so excited about the edelbrock performer "air gap" intake when it came out. He was old school carb type of guy. I was young and dumb, didn't understand the whole "vapor" thing. Any time we did intakes on sbc, he'd reccommend that "air gap" intake. Makes sense now! Thanks so much pressureangle for your explanation and advice. I fully agree, there is no "magic bullet", but there are steps to take to mitigate the occurrence of vapor lock.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fuel bowl draining is because if you look at the bottom of a Q-Jet you will see 2 plugs in the center. Once they start leaking it drains the fuel bowl when sitting.
The "fix" GM came up with is a piece of foam that fits the cutout. I have also seen the cutout area filled with epoxy.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Like @pressureangle, I've worked through this issue on Q-Jets, nearly always with a successful
resolution. (And for the remainder, there is a simple, inelegant work-around you can use. More in a bit.)

Let's go through the fixes that are available, starting with what the factory engineers came up
with back in the day, and then on to what folks like @L31MaxExpress have done since then.

1) Don't bolt the Q-jet to the intake manifold with a thin paper gasket that's included with some of
the carb rebuild kits. Starting with the hotter temps due to leaner idle mixtures when emissions-controls
were mandated, you want to use the 1/4" thick temp-insulating gaskets with the 4 phenolic spacers built in.
(So that the carb sits squarely.) Chevy upgraded to these around '71 or so:

You must be registered for see images attach

(credit: CorvetteCentral website: (LINK)

2) The Corvette engineers back then took it a step further, by adding
a heat shield to cut down on the radiant heat from the intake through
the air and to the carb:

Chevrolet #3969837, NOS '70-'71 Corvette/Q-Jet metal heat shield
You must be registered for see images attach

NOTE: If it was me, I would use this heat shield & substitute the better 1/4" gasket in step #1 above. (Or fab up a similar heat shield yourself - pic above just to give you an idea of what the paid help came up with back in the day -- no doubt based on failed high-temp heat soak testing at GM's AZ proving grounds.)

OK, Steps #1 & #2 above are to migitate heat transfer into the carb itself. (ie: The carb is
the perpetrator of the too-hot to control fuel issue.)

Conversely, the following steps are to help solve too little/too hot to control fuel to the carb.
(ie: The carb is the victim, not the perpetrator.)

3) NOT putting the gas in the line from the tank to the carb under a partial vacuum. Just
like every other red-blooded mechanic, I fully appreciate the affordable, simple beauty to the
mechanical fuel pump mounted down on the right front corner of the block.

The only problem is that by pulling fuel from the tank, it lowers the pressure on the gasoline
in the line. And as we all know, the lower the pressure of a liquid, the lower the boiling point.
And a mechanical fuel pump can pump a liquid, but not a vapor. No fuel, no go.

Instead, pressurizing the fuel from the tank forward will raise the boiling point of the gas
in the line, and Voila! the vapor lock is cured! @L31MaxExpress is on the money with his
recommended setup!

4) It is documented in 1 or more of the Q-Jet books that the needle & seat in the carb
can control fuel, but cannot control heated gas vaporization that occurs when the fuel
transitions from ~6 psi liquid in the line to the carb to atmospheric pressure in the
carb bowl. And since the bowl is vented to the inside of the air cleaner filter, this
is what gives you the 'too rich to start' issue.

To fix the issues in step #4, we have to control the gas temps. Running the
gas line close & in parallel to the exhaust system is an obvious no-no...especially
when you are running a 1 gas line setup. A much better solution is to use
all the gas in the tank as a large heat sink -- this is done by having a pressurized
line from the tank to a fuel regulator near the carb...and then the unneeded extra
fuel pumped up front is sent back to the tank. Done correctly, you minimize the
heat gain during the trip up to the engine bay, and then cycle what isn't used back
to the tank in a continuous loop. Makes perfect sense, and the factories did this
for years.

5) The Workaround. Let's say for a moment that your truck falls into the
category of infrequent heavy use in hot weather. It just works out that normally
the truck is just loafing along, and with using steps #1 & #2 you never have a
problem. But today you are towing something heavy, it's really hot out, and
the truck is starting to have trouble restarting after a quick heat-soak. (ie:
Stopping at a rest area for a few minutes.)

The solution (which I have 1st-hand experience with) is as simple as opening
the hood and allowing that tremendous amount of heat trapped in the
exhaust manifolds, block, radiator, etc., to escape. Simple as that. And
thanks to convection, there will be a pretty good flow of superheated air
out of the engine bay!

NOTE: A cooler solution would be to have your hood louvered (allowing
heat to be pulled out both driving down the road as well as parked) ...but done right
it's pretty spendy. And it's a dying art form. But if I saw that on your truck it
would blow my socks off! :0)

One last thing. The electric cooling fans that cycle on & off until the radiator
gets down to ~180 degrees have a nice side effect where the engine bay gets
some much-needed ventilation during those post engine shutdown heat-soak
situations.

Anyway, that pretty much sums up what can be done in order to feed a cool
carb with cool fuel, so no more worries about 'vapor lock'. And, if all else fails,
just opening the hood during a quick stop after making some real heat will help
more than most people realize. And if asked why I pop the hood, I feel no
shame telling them that my engine makes a lot of heat. :)

Enjoy that Q-Jet!

Last edited:

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hard to do on a 400, but some trucks are able to have the hood adjusted higher in the back
to allow air out.