Towing Newbie - questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JSpotMD

Reaction score
Using the Grimmjeeper ratio calculator it looks like 4.10s and 33s gets me a little better than stock size on 3.73s which would be rated for 8000lbs.

As long as the temperatures stay within spec, any issues running WOT for extended periods of time?

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Using the Grimmjeeper ratio calculator it looks like 4.10s and 33s gets me a little better than stock size on 3.73s which would be rated for 8000lbs.

As long as the temperatures stay within spec, any issues running WOT for extended periods of time?
As long as engine temps dont get out of hand and oil psi doesnt start dropping youll most likely be fine. Ive done it with my truck more times than i can count and it lasted 230k plus.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the same 95 454 burb but with 4.10s and no lift. I went from 245/75/16 - 285/70/17 which is about a 33 and noticed a small loss in off the line. To correct the speedo I got a drac to modify and found the ratio to be almost perfect as it was from a 3.73 truck. I Velcro'ed it on top of the pcm.
Just my thinking here is where was the weak link to drop the tow rating 20%? Gm decided the rear planetary I think is had a high enough fail rate to redesign the transmission case in 97 to give it extra cooling lube. With the loss of gear ratio you are putting extra strain on it.

I'm not worried locally but an planning a cross country move so I'm debating putting smaller tires on my old rims. But with your B/L would look bad.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not 100% on gears, especially if you're towing in 3rd. Definitely open up that exhaust with some long tubes and get a tune, 91 octane if you're willing to open that wallet up. The L19 is even less rev happy than the L05 so don't get too crazy with gears. That said, if you gear low enough you may be able to tow in 4th. Don't expect good fuel economy, just less noise.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree, I better flowing exhaust is top priority and then of course a gear swap. 35s with 3.73 is bad news, it's no wonder it's struggling some. Like mentioned earlier, if your gonna stick with 35s go with4.56 gears.

I also rock out a 454. But with 4.10s and 33.5s. Truck kicks ass towing, no complaints.

JSpotMD

Reaction score
I've got the 4.10s on order and pricing out some 33s with a staggered wheel setup. Trying to tuck those fronts in a bit more... Debated keeping the 35s and going 4.56 but less rotating mass is going to be helpful here and I can always throw the 35s back on when not towing.

I still plan to tow mostly in 3rd but make it easier on the truck. Only planning overdrive on appropriate terrain.

Anybody know who makes compatible long tube headers? I'm not having much luck finding anything but shorties for a K2500. We have a ton of exhaust shops in town to fab up so 2.5 inch duals after that. I still have a year left on the GM Goodwrench motor warranty so will be keeping the TBI and stock intake manifold/heads for now.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try discounttiredirect. Best tire prices I've seen, free fast shipping. I've bought several sets from them.

Have you checked summit for headers? Thought I saw some on there. I'll take a look for ya. 2.5" duals would be a good upgrade. That's what I run on my truck, works great.