Tough steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Askme42

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I've had my truck about 2 years and from time to time I have the same issue. After being parked awhile it will act almost as if the steering is stuck. What I mean is when I start it up and say go to pull from the curb its like I don't have power steering the steering is super tight. Now after in struggle thru to turn it left then right it's just fine. I've replaced everything on the ifs pretty much and have a 6" lift I've added since buying.

Anyone have any clue what this could be?

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
:lol: like said above^^ did you check your fluid????? maybe the power steering pump went out, maybe one of the lines is clogged??

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing occasionally when cold. Like I have to "break" the steering loose in both directions. Went away after I greased my front end. Try that, maybe?

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Maybe the buggy vehicle speed sensor (?) on the steering shaft could be screwing up too? Just another thought

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year is your truck? 97+ have EVO steering. EVO (electronic variable oriface) systems have a sensor on the column inside the cab, a EVO thing on the output hose of the powersteering pump. If the sensor in the cab goes bad or the EVO thing on the hose sticks you can get the same symtoms. Most of the time it's the sensor and most people just unplug it and forget about it (myself included)

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
What year is your truck? 97+ have EVO steering. EVO (electronic variable oriface) systems have a sensor on the column inside the cab, a EVO thing on the output hose of the powersteering pump. If the sensor in the cab goes bad or the EVO thing on the hose sticks you can get the same symtoms. Most of the time it's the sensor and most people just unplug it and forget about it (myself included)

Ya, that's what I was thinking of haha

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
does it shudder when you turn? or its just sticky? id try greasing your front end, check fluid and all that great and dandy stuff, if its shuddering it could be a leak in you power steering hose, bad pump, bad box etc.

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could always upgrade to a power steering cooler and a steering stabilizer to help prevent future issues