Torque converter or torque converter solenoid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rescue1emt

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been having some problems with my trans for a while now. Its a 4L60e in a 97 GMC K1500. When I first crank my truck up in the morning and hit the highway my tcc will lock up in overdrive and if when I tap the brake it frees up (all normal.) But after I've drove it for a around 5 min it will no longer lock up at all and its killing my gas mileage and building way too much heat (enough to set the trans into limp home mode.) ... I know its not the switch at the brake pedal, so is there a way to tell if it is the tcc or tcc solenoid.

blackhawk17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I've got the same problem with my '92. I don't have a limp mode, of course, but it started about a week ago I think. I've had this truck for about a year and a half, and I've always thought that in OD it locked up too early ( like when I'm trying to get on the interstate and still need the power). But now it's not locking up at all. I'm hoping it's as simple as the solenoid I've read about. Any other advice?

blackhawk17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I tried the tapping the brake thing at highway speed with the left foot while still giving gas (not a lot), and it causes the TC to lock and it does ok unless I stop, and then I have to do it over again. Is this the TCC solenoid or could it be something else too?

Last edited: