Torque Converter advice/Basic trans mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Project400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So here in a few weeks I’m going to be doing some repairs and modifications
On the repair side is a leaking rear main seal.
I also want to have the front pump seal replaced in the transmission (I’ve had two fail in other vehicles)

I want to replace my torque converter and change up the stall speed while I’m at it.
I’m thinking of this one
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70418

My other option is an S-10 Converter.
I’ve actually used that one in an LT1 FBody but it’s been years ago and don’t remember what kind of effects it had

I’m about to do some searching on YouTube for videos

I also want to point out this is on a stock 5.7 Vortec truck with 285’s, 4.10’s and eventually mid length headers/true Duals with crossover and cats, spider mpfi upgrade and tune. No other engine modifications

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Speaking from experience here... Personally I wouldn't waste any money on the 4L60E. Save the money you were going to spend on a torque converter, servo, and shift kit and put that towards a junkyard 4L80E when the 60E inevitably dies. I've beefed a 60E up with just about every performance upgrade you can get and my V6 truck still murdered it.

No experience with the vette servo as I went straight to billet for both of them. I did have a TransGo HD2 in there, though. With that combo it shifted very hard, especially from 1-2. The HD2 kit by itself has produced nice results in the TH350 in my Monte Carlo, though.

Project400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see your point
This is only an additional $200 of parts
Not tons in labor since it’d go in when the rear main was changed

brutpwr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not recommend using a higher stall converter except possibly in light 2wd truck with smaller height tires