To all TBI owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
I always had the truck running and climb up so that i could twist the distributor while running, once the idle smoothed out i would give it some throttle and see how it responded, once it ran how i felt was how it should be i would tighten the distributor back down, this only works if you dont have to pull the distributor out to adjust it

Yeah, that would be a good way to ballpark it, but not really to diagnose a specific problem. I'll admit that I do this with older HEI vehicles, but that's only after installing an engine. If you don't know exactly where you're at, you can't really rule it out, right?

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Hmm so if it was far enough out of time it would set off the SES light, well i'm not getting any trouble light, however haven't seen on in a while. SES light will come on with key ON engine OFF, correct?

Not always. On the most recent truck I had to reset ('95), the mark was all the way on the passenger side of the balancer when I had it at TDC, no SES. Yes, it was working, I made sure before fixing the timing that there were no codes.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
also if your setting the timing and it gets worse you may want to check the balancer.. they like to spin as in.. the outter ring will slip on the inner part meaning the rubber is bad..

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
My engine came stock with a double roller. Is this uncommon for a 91 engine?

Also, my timing is set to 7' BTDC.

-Via Mobile-

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
My engine came stock with a double roller. Is this uncommon for a 91 engine?

Also, my timing is set to 7' BTDC.

-Via Mobile-

Never heard of a stock double roller. You sure it wasn't replaced before you had it?
7 degrees? How do you figure that?

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
also if your setting the timing and it gets worse you may want to check the balancer.. they like to spin as in.. the outter ring will slip on the inner part meaning the rubber is bad..

Rare but probable. Nice job for thinking about it

What area is Channelview?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Never heard of a stock double roller. You sure it wasn't replaced before you had it?
7 degrees? How do you figure that?

Does the fact that it was a 2500 4 bolt main block make a difference?

And I figure that because that's what I have it set to.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rare but probable. Nice job for thinking about it

What area is Channelview?

we had to use stock balancers on are dirt cars and i would spin them all the time.. i got smart drilled and put a roll pin to help stop it from doing it again.. now we can run whatever we want..

channelview is east of houston about 30 miles.. im right at I-10 and beltway8

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does the fact that it was a 2500 4 bolt main block make a difference?

And I figure that because that's what I have it set to.

no 88 to 98 truck came with a double roller from the factory.. a double roller is a upgrade or aftermarket..

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
no 88 to 98 truck came with a double roller from the factory.. a double roller is a upgrade or aftermarket..

The engine was a factory replacement from GM.

-Via Mobile-