Tire wear issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The tires are 265/75r16. Stock size. And the tires are going on 3 years old. They didn't start to wear like this till recently

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Pull back a couple inches and give us a larger pic of the front end components please.

The only way to get that type of wear in that location in that tight a pattern is it is rubbing on something, likely at full steering defection.

The only other time I've seen similar tire wear patterns is when someone runs a couple miles on deflated tires and the rim scuffs the crap out of the sidewalls.

I also think the stock size is 245, but even that shouldn't make a difference. That's a very small "step up" in size and I run the same on my 98 k2500 without issue.

Last edited:

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I took it back To the alignment shop today to double check and they said all was fine.. and It's a z71 the tire sticker in the door says 265/75r18. Are you wanting a picture of it with the steering wheel at full lock?

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
265/75r16 not 18. Sorry.and here is what I just tried. I put a bead of white paint on the worn ring and drove around in a circle both directions at full lock, and I get out and look. Guess what, not a drop of white paint on nothing but the tires. This is about to piss me off...

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Pull back a couple inches and give us a larger pic of the front end components please.

The only way to get that type of wear in that location in that tight a pattern is it is rubbing on something, likely at full steering defection.

The only other time I've seen similar tire wear patterns is when someone runs a couple miles on deflated tires and the rim scuffs the crap out of the sidewalls.

I also think the stock size is 245, but even that shouldn't make a difference. That's a very small "step up" in size and I run the same on my 98 k2500 without issue.
Most Z71's in the later years got 265's, i know my friends 1998 did. i seen his window sticker "265/75R16 all terrain tires"

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
265/75r16 not 18. Sorry.and here is what I just tried. I put a bead of white paint on the worn ring and drove around in a circle both directions at full lock, and I get out and look. Guess what, not a drop of white paint on nothing but the tires. This is about to piss me off...

Very odd.

Have you loaned the truck out to anyone lately or maybe driven it over rocks and such?

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Our huntin property is kinda rough and rocky. I've been there a couple times the last month...

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I suppose it's possible you spun them against a rock.

I suggest you put your paint on the scuffed area, drive it for a day or two and keep an eye on the paint. If it gets scrubbed off you have a returning issue. If it doesn't scrub off, you're in the clear and it was some kind of "one of" rub you did somewhere...

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I drive 60 miles round trip to work. So I'll see if its worn off by tomorrow and report back