Tire Sticking Out Past The Fenders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok the spacer dean posted a picture of is lug centric. This is a hub centric one:

You must be registered for see images

See the difference? A GMT 400 being lug centric, the lug studs/nuts are taking the load. As long as you get full thread engagement on them you should be fine. The further out you move the center of the wheel puts more stress/load on the wheel bearings yes, but the lugs could care less...

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
If they were unsafe you wouldn't see duals on tractors.

call me crazy, but I don't see tractors flyin' down the interstate at 75 all to often... that and they have longer axles and hubs to support the extra tires- NOT spacers

AND- just to clear things up, I'm not arguing and I know that no one else is either, its just healthy debating :Good or Bad:

it just might be hard to understand how typed words are actualy meant :lol:

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
SCOTT! you started a chit storm with this thread man! :rofl: look if you wanna run spacers do it, just make sure you get good quality ones and torque them to required specs and check on them every so often. there's probably thousands of cars and trucks running them with no issues, the ones that do have problems are probably the asshats that don't keep mind of them or didn't install correctly. it's pretty unlikely that you would sheer all five studs at once so I have a hard time believing it would catastrophically fail unless just not installed correctly. hell I've heard more stories of people losing a wheel on the highway from under tightening their lug nuts than people breaking spacers. just my two cents!
:cheers:

Sent from my static android

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
SCOTT! you started a chit storm with this thread man! :rofl: look if you wanna run spacers do it, just make sure you get good quality ones and torque them to required specs and check on them every so often. there's probably thousands of cars and trucks running them with no issues, the ones that do have problems are probably the asshats that don't keep mind of them or didn't install correctly. it's pretty unlikely that you would sheer all five studs at once so I have a hard time believing it would catastrophically fail unless just not installed correctly. hell I've heard more stories of people losing a wheel on the highway from under tightening their lug nuts than people breaking spacers. just my two cents!

Sent from my static android

Good call

I just wouldn't do it to mine :shrug:

but I'm sure you can do it and be A Okay.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
call me crazy, but I don't see tractors flyin' down the interstate at 75 all to often... that and they have longer axles and hubs to support the extra tires- NOT spacers

Right, they're not running 75 down the highway, but they're carrying literally tons of weight. It's all relative though when talking about tiny spacers on a truck vs. a tractor hub.

I'm not arguing either, just wanted to throw my input in there.

DONE

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score

It doesn't really matter anyways. We all have cool trucks. We all have GMT-400's. We all know what we are doing. We are all mechanics in our own mind. We are all brilliant, technological geniuses and know every possible outcome of every mod.

We are all complete idiots who act like we know something.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
Wheels spacers (not the crap 1/4" ones from vatozone) are safe. You MUST torque them correctly and recheck after a few miles, 50 miles, 500 miles. Once they are torqued correctly they will be fine.

Post up head-on pics from a distance so I can see how far they stick out. Also, give me some measurements. Thanks... By the way, what is the law in Texas about how far tires can stick out?

quick google search says dual rear wheels need mud flaps, didn't find anything on fender flares

Thanks guys. The reason I'm asking is because the 1st time I went through a mud puddle, I got no mud above the lower bodyline of the truck (molding) and I wanted my truck dirtier. Plus I like the wider stance. I was thinking about 1.5" spacers but now I'm wondering if some of the autzone ones would work. They are thinner but cheaper too...

It looks cool, but there are disadvantages too. When it rains you have water flying up everywhere. When you are driving with your arm out the window crap is always hitting you. Mud flying in the windows. Mud getting in the A/C vents and spits sand at you later when you turn the A/C on. :lol:

Not saying you shouldn't do it, but just expect a face full of dirt when you have the wider tires on and go rip it up. :lol:

My wheels stick out about a quarter inch in the front. I wish they didn't, they rub the top of the fender when I hit a good bump.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We just made a mountain out of a mole hill :rofl:

For thinner spacers there really isn't a need to spend huge amounts on them. It's just a flat plate with holes drilled in it. The thicker ones that come with new studs an lug nuts yes you need to buy good quality ones....