tire problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dgumoe

Reaction score
Right now my truck has 275 60 15's on all 4 corners with the usual 454ss knock off steel wheels. Its a 95 ecsb 2wd. I have cooper cobra gt tires. If i spit on the road i can spin the wheels through three gears. If its raining or the roads are wet the truck floats if Im traveling faster than 50 mph. Even rolling at 40 I can break the ass end loose with no effort. Its a problem I dealt with since I put the truck back on the road. Prior to april of this year I hadnt driven the truck in the rain. Lately its been non stop wet weather here and I have had a few close calls. Do you guys think the tire size is the culprit or the type of tire. Ive looked for other brands in this size and all I find is bfgs which I ran on my old elcamino and they dont last. So whats a guy to do? I really hate buying another set of tires but this is ridiculous. Im also considering upsizing to 17s just to increase my tire options. Incidentally, I drive 100 miles a day round trip for work. 70 of which are on the highway where you better be doing at least 75 or youre going to get run over. So slowing down or not driving in the rain isnt an option. Any ideas?

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
I had the same tires on my old truck with a v6. The tires are junk, and don't last long. I could do burnouts with ease and that was with a v6

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The width isn't helping.
The Cooper's are crap.
BFG's suck! I've had 3 different generations of T/A's. Cursed them all.
Firestone Firehawk Indy500's in that size were killer in the rain. Loved 'em! No longer made in 275/60-15's! Grrr!!!

Been considering these. Cheaper than T/A's too! I won't even consider the Cooper's, which may be cheaper than the Maxxis'. But that doesn't matter to me!
They also come in a 295/50-15 that's even less expensive than the 275's! If the design does have a prob with rain, that size would just be worse!
I've seen these tires in the 275's go on sale for less than $100.00/ea.

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/maxxis/275%2F60-15+maxxis+ma-s1+marauder+107h.html

Of all the reviews on 'em, I've only read one where the purchaser complained about rain performance.
Could of been that that guy is just a dumbass. Or he might have a legit beef with them. Dunno.
H-rated. Not as if these trucks will maintain a speed of 130mph for 6+ hours, but by design, they have a stiffer sidewall. That alone will help in the performance aspect.

It's an option for you. I'm going to be buying a set of 4, but not till the end of next month. If I get those before you absolutely need tires, I'll post up a review for you. If the are complete crap in the rain, I'll know right quick! Living on the edge of a coastal rainforest here, & the Fall/Winter/Spring monsoon season is headed this way!

dgumoe

Reaction score
I like the look of the coopers. On dry pavement i have no gripes. But wet performance sucks. Period. On my truck and on the roads I travel it is scary. Now it may be different for other people but I am not comfortable pulling out in traffic or running down the highway but whatever. Id be interested in the maxxis performance. My budget right now says ill be running these coopers at least till new years. Fortunately this rain is unusual this time of year for us. It should be drying up soon and I wont be dealing with it again till march or so. Ill probably end up with 17" as much as i hate giving up my sport wheels and white letters. What about a 29 inch tall or 28 inch tall light truck tire? Any support on those?