tips for 4l60e removal/rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duanes7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, gotta pull my 4l60e to have it rebuilt. No 2nd, 4th, or reverse.

Anyone have any tips on how to do this? Like be sure to remove part a before part b... Or hints on starter removal like 4 feet of extension and come from under the front bumper (my old forerunner)... Remove the transfer case and then the trans or keep them together...

This will be my second every trans removal and I'm sure I can figure it out, but I'd like to know if there are any lessons to be passed on before I start...

Thanks.

duanes7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, no replies... Guess I will just tear into it and make up my own tip list...

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it were me. I would have a professional rebuild it so you can have a warranty but if you feel confident in doing it yourself just buy a trans rebuild manual from ebay or amazon

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Heres some tips.

Pull both drive shafts
remove 4 bolts from transfercase (if 4x4), remove transfercase
remove transmission crossmember bolts (18mm I think)
remove trans mount bolt
Support trans
if trans has removable lower bell housing, remove that and unbolt torque converter from flex flate (fly wheel)
disconnect electric connectors
disconnect trans lines
unbolt trans from engine (bell housing bolts)

You will need extensions, swivels, impact, 15mm 18mm deep wells, I cant remember the other sizes.

Install the trans in reverse order, run the vehicle when filling tranny up with fluid. If torque converter is empty trans takes 12 quarts (I THINK).

duanes7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have the front drive shaft loose and the rear dropped right now. Broke a bolt off in the rear pinion yoke so going to have to pull that and drill it out.

The front shaft is frozen and will not slide together. I can that out when the transfer case comes off then let it sit in some penetrant.

Thanks for the list will get back to it when the temperature come s back up.

I am having it profesionally rebuilt. There is a guy close to here with his own shop and transmissions is all he does.

duanes7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, took the front drive shadt out today. After having had spray penetrant on the front drive shaft for a few days I turned it so the short end of the shaft was down and firmly yet gently dropped it on to the concrete a couple of times from about 1 inch. The first 2 times were a solid ring, the second 2 were softer and the last couple the shaft started to shorten up.

I propped it up on the side of the tire with short end down and sprayed some more penetrant on it. At this angle it should flow in good.

duanes7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got my rebuilt trans back today. Yeah, if the rain will stop I can put it back in. The rebuild guy uses the corvette servo as it cures what he says is a sometimes lazy 2-3 shift. Even got a new torque converter still in the box.

Man it will be nice to have reverse again. Don't know how many times I've driven over curbs and dividers and such lately beause I pulled into a parking space without thinking about how to get out of it...