Time to install new Leafs, got couple questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my stock 1/2ton leaf springs broke on me, the bottom leaf cracked in half so time to replace them. I picked up 3/4ton leaf springs from a friend for $50, and they are in good shape. He also had some Polyurethane bushings brand new - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-3-2128R/ - my question is, to install them do I need to leave the stock metal sleeve in and burn the rubber out then push in the new poly bushing, or do I remove the metal sleeve with the old rubber bushing? The new poly bushings do not have any kind of sleeve with them so I do not want to remove the sleeve if I need to use them.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the bushings not come with instructions? I'm pretty sure if they didnt come with sleeves you need to reuse the stock ones. Press the sleeve out first and then the rubber bushing. Put the new ploy bushings in and then slide in the sleeve, use a ton of the lube that came with the bushings too....

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The kit that I got from my friend is the same one I linked - and no sleeves were included. Just the poly bushings. The old sleeves look fine, it was just the rubber bushing part that was worn really bad. So it looks like I just re-use the old sleeves, and call it a day..... I already replaced the bushings on my 1/2ton leaf springs last summer, replaced all the mounting bolts too, so how long of a job do you think this would be? Over the summer I had the bed off when I did the bushings, so it was easy... this time the bed is on the truck.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they should have the sleeves new with them

Thats what I was thinking. The kit I bought for my '78 came with new sleeves, but I guess not every kit does.

OP I would plan on at least a day, it all depends on how bad it is to get the old rubber bushings out....

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking. The kit I bought for my '78 came with new sleeves, but I guess not every kit does.

OP I would plan on at least a day, it all depends on how bad it is to get the old rubber bushings out....

I checked and called summit - the same kit only includes the bushings. So to swap to the 3/4ton leafs (after bushings are in them), only a couple of hours you think? I would think switching the bushings is more time consuming then the actual swap of the leaf springs.

Also I have been reading that with the 3/4ton leaf springs, the rear will be lifted a little when going from a 1/2ton. Does that go the same for a heavy half ton? My old leafs are 5 (4 +1overload) new ones are 6 (5+1 overload). I am assuming I will gain a little bit, which is fine with me.

Last edited:

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
You should gain a bit in height. I'm interested in how it rides after you get them installed.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would guess that taking your time it should take no more than 4 hrs start to finish to swap out the springs. It will probably raise the back at least an inch. I doubt there will be much of a difference in the ride....

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
You should gain a bit in height. I'm interested in how it rides after you get them installed.

Like a 3/4 ton. lol.

Seriously though, my 3/4 ECSB rides MUCH better than my 1/2 ton blazer did, the 3/4 has one more leaf in the back and helper springs.

Last edited:

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry I have not updated yet, weather keeps changing -one day its nice to do them, the next its raining/ threat of snow, and my truck is my snow vehicle, so I am trying to time this swap just right. I did get the new bushings into the old leaf springs, and did not have to re-use the old sleeves. The new bushings did not need a sleeve, I found a small print out of the install instructions shoved in the very bottom of the box (took awhile to get it out).