Time for a fuel pump. YAYY!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CleanGMC209

Reaction score
I have a 98 sierra with about 95000 miles and the fuel pump has been starting to go out. Its been running a little rough and losing power so i checked the fuel pressure and its low. So I started shopping around today and found a pump from the dealer is about 550$ but kragen or an online store can get me one for around 250$. So my question is if its worth buying the gm part or just a replacement. Also what would be the best replacement brand to get. I want something that is going to work right and last hopefully for the rest of the trucks life. Thanks

CleanGMC209

Reaction score
Alright thanks I checked out the delphi pump. It looks pretty good and im really liking the warranty. Has anybody used this pump or know anything about this brand?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes I have used Delpi pump's with very good luck, whatever you do don't buy an Airtex!

1low95GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you going to pull the bed or drop the tank? I just replaced my fuel pump for around 50 from auto some. It was easy to pull the bed. You just need a couple buddy's

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The last time I did a pump, I had no-one around to help. So I loosened off the bed bolts on the passenger side, & removed the ones on the driver side. Undid the filler neck. (a PITA!) Got my floor jack under the crossmember of the box, on the driver side & tilted up the box. A couple of jack stands between the frame & the box, & I had enough room to get the pump out. I left the floor jack in there too. Worked out pretty good, but some blocks between the frame & the box, instead of the jack stands, probably would have been a bit safer.

X-Cutioner

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
the last 2 that i did was the same way that sewlow58 just described but i took out all the bolt and justed used a pair of straps from the driver side to the passenger frame rail to keep the bed from sliding off the frame rails because i had it lifted about 3.5 to 4 feet in the air :)

oh yeah you can buy just a pump you don't need to replace the entire sending unit unless the fuel gauge is reading wrong or the fuel lines to the sending unit are rusted together or are broken

jdavis8317

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i remember a buddy of mine had an s-10 and when he took the bed off to change the pump he cut a square in the bed floor and welded two pieces of angle to the bottom of the bed then bolted the part he cut out to the angle where it was flush so he could just pull the bolts out and have an access panel