Tightening up steering slop..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glad to hear it! everything go back on the same way it came off? Postion wise?

Knew that would help you out! How are the BJ's and tierods?

House003

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup! Drives nice and straight down the road! The shop said my outer left tie rod and all 4 ball joints are bad.. But it don't see any play in them what so ever.. Only problem I see is that the grease boot for the uppers have come off, but I keep putting grease in them.. No play in them but I'm sure that will be the next thing

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup! Drives nice and straight down the road! The shop said my outer left tie rod and all 4 ball joints are bad.. But it don't see any play in them what so ever.. Only problem I see is that the grease boot for the uppers have come off, but I keep putting grease in them.. No play in them but I'm sure that will be the next thing

When we bought the dually all 4 ball joints were bad and the pitman arm was so hosed that there was almost 1/4 of a turn in the steering wheel! The pitman was replaced the next day but the ball joints took about 12K miles before replacement. I was surprised that I didn't have tire wear issues and that my slop didn't improve when I replaced the ball joints. My steering box was my final issue.

House003

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Right now my steering seems really nice.. Only thing is that when you let go of the steering wheel it wanders to the right

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Right now my steering seems really nice.. Only thing is that when you let go of the steering wheel it wanders to the right

Sounds like you need an alignment. I had the same issue after replacing my pitman arms in my truck. I'd get it checked soon if you can so you don't cause any unnecessary tire wear.

House003

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like you need an alignment. I had the same issue after replacing my pitman arms in my truck. I'd get it checked soon if you can so you don't cause any unnecessary tire wear.

I'll see if I can.. I might replace the tie rods first and maybe my upper ball joints and then get an alignment so I can do it all at once.. My tires are getting pretty low on tread already

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll see if I can.. I might replace the tie rods first and maybe my upper ball joints and then get an alignment so I can do it all at once.. My tires are getting pretty low on tread already

This is the best idea, with a BJ change or tie rod change you have to re align, so do it all then pay for an alignment, unless places will do lifetime ones.

I need tie rods and upper BJ's on mine, I am going to do the entire tie rod and sleeve on each side, cheaper to buy inner/outer and sleeve than pay the labor to R&R the outers and leave the inners.