Ticking sound when accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94burb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have some ticking sound that I only hear when I give it some gas while driving. I can't hear it during idle or when revving during idle. Any suggestions where to start?

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Detonation maybe? You could try using a higher octane fuel to see if it goes away. If its anything more than that I would guess valvetrain noise, but that would also be heard at idle.

racer36

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Exhaust leak or some kind of vacum leak possibly. Any lose in power?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I have to agree with the majority here. And the majority here is saying it based on actual experience. An exhaust leak at the manifold or at the collector sounds just like a tick when you're accelerating.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have to agree with the majority here. And the majority here is saying it based on actual experience. An exhaust leak at the manifold or at the collector sounds just like a tick when you're accelerating.

clicking is almost ALWAYS exhaust leak somewhere
is it especially bad when cold? -totally exhaust leak

This. A ticking sound that is most noticeable under acceleration is generally an exhaust leak. Most likely the donut gasket at the collector where the manifold and Y pipe meets, I would check those first. Could also be a cracked manifold, or hole in the exhaust system some where.