Throttle body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Does anyone else have an issue with the 4.3 c1500 surging, super stiff gas peddle and the truck jerks? I was thinking throttle body positioning sensor but now I wonder if it has something to do with the TBI or if it has something to do with the way it's metered. The gas has to be pressed hard to get it to accelerate, it's all or nothing and if I'm too gentle it will stall, surge/jerk. And should the throttle cable loop in the engine compartment and then go to the TBI or should it go directly to the TBI. Because mine loops and I'm wondering if that could be part of the issue.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like someone installed the wrong throttle cable on your truck. Maybe they couldn't source the correct one? When I look up an '89 w/4.3 on Rock, they show two different cable lengths - 30.5" in ATP and Pioneer brands, and a GM # 15552822 that is only about 19.7" - maybe measure the looped one in your truck and compare.

Looped shouldn't really matter unless it's binding somewhere or is simply bad, though. Try moving the throttle with the cable disconnected. Be sure you're disconnecting the throttle cable though, and NOT the throttle valve cable to your transmission (if automatic.) If it still seems like it's binding, try disconnecting the cruise cable (if equipped.) Finally you might shine a bright flashlight down the throttle bores and see if the blades are hanging up on a swollen base gasket.

Richard