This rattle is driving me nuts!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so recently I've got a rattle in my truck that I can't track down. It sounds like it's coming from somewhere in front of me and to the right. or in other words it sounds like it's either coming from the dash or the engine bay but I doubt the latter...

Here's the odd thing. It only buzzes at right around 1400-1600 RPMS and only when the engine is under load (in gear). I can have it in neutral or park and rev it up to the sweet spot and no buzz. As soon as I take off from a stop sign and it passes the sweet spot it buzzes. Or I can put it in drive and put my foot on the brake and rev it up to the spot and it buzzes. So it does it while I'm stationary which rules out road vibrations...

I've pushed on the dash in places, removed the glove box, removed the coin/ash tray, checked things that are bolted to the firewall like the coolant overflow tank and my reel light. I can't really hear it from outside but then again the engine could be overpowering the noise...

I'm worried that it's some random piece of the dash clear up in there and that I'll have to take the entire dash apart to find it... I certainly hope not :(

Any ideas?

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
i'd say heat shield also...

i had this problem a while back but mine was the heat shield on the manifold on the driver's side. at idle it was an awful screeching sound but not very loud,..just annoying as heck.