Third brake/cargo light options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PETEHOLMES

Reaction score
Has anyone discovered replacement options? My '97 Silverado's original unit worked, but the black rubber base had deteriorated in the sun and looked butt-ugly. Unfortunately, the stock replacement unit is not only spendy (list $140+), it doesn't fit properly--no flush, waterproof seal. My friendly local Chevy dealer's parts department has ordered two for me, with the same result: It's a POS, and Chevy should find another parts supplier or discontinue it. And I've tried not one but two aftermarket LED replacement units, but the cargo light didn't work for either. (The first was a cheaper unit, the second was almost $70 from AnzoUSA--same problem.) At least all the lights--brake and cargo--worked in the stock units, both the factory original and the two Genuine GM parts that didn't mount flush with the cab.

So, has anyone figured this out?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Which cab do you have? A lot of people don't realize this but the 3rd brake lights are different, ext. cabs have their own housing design while crew cabs and std. cabs share another. They look almost identical side by side but will not interchange properly. The std/crew cab option has been discontinued for some time now. As far as I know the ext. cab option is still available from GM, although I haven't checked in a long time.

Also that's very strange that the AnzoUSA option didn't work for you, I run their smoked 3rd on my red truck and I like it a lot. If I were you I'd try returning that one for a replacement and see if the other does the same thing. If it does, honestly I'd be checking your wiring and connectors. AnzoUSA has been pretty good to me, I run their lights in pretty much everything. I did have to dab a little silicone behind my 3rd brake gasket but that was because I ran my XM antenna's wiring out of the cab behind it.

PETEHOLMES

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I have a standard cab, but my parts dealer and I double and triple-checked to make sure we had the correct part number--ordered it twice, in fact. The AnzoUSA unit was the second aftermarket replacement I attempted, but since the cargo light on both of these failed to operate, I thought it might be a common problem--several online comments revealed the same problem. Throughout all of this, the cargo light worked properly on all three GM units--the stock original and both dealer units--both before and after attempting the aftermarket replacements. Weird.

I might try another AnzoUSA unit, and suggested that to the retailer, but they just wanted to refund my money. Go figure.

Another commenter suggested simply sealing up the stock unit with silicone. I hate to gunk it up and like you preferred the look of the AnzoUSA unit, so maybe I'll give them another try.

Thanks again.

HopHead357

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you ever find a solution to this? I am currently going through this struggle now and have a bunch of water leaking into my truck. Contemplating the silicone option, but the screw holes on the actual lens broke on mine, so I really need a new one.