Thinking of Changing directions with my truck, need input.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I was planning on lowering my truck, but after getting stuck in wet grass I miss a 4wd. So the best way to remedy that? SAS! Picked up a ford Dana 44 front and 60 rear 8 lug leaf sprung a few months back, and now I think I have the perfect truck to put them in. What do y'all think? I will be using this kit http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/detaproduct.php?id=64

Thunderstruck20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do it... I owned a few trucks before my current one and I wanted to do it to them, only problem was I didnt keep em long enough to do it. Have a ford D60 under mine now and I absolutely love it. What year 44 did you get?

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do it... I owned a few trucks before my current one and I wanted to do it to them, only problem was I didnt keep em long enough to do it. Have a ford D60 under mine now and I absolutely love it. What year 44 did you get?

The axles came out of a 78 f250. Only downfall is 3:55 gearing but it shouldn't be too bad on 35s. I'm gonna *try* to make a highboy divorced t-case work but if not ill figure something else out.

Thunderstruck20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
probably wont be complaining about hwy mpgs haha. mine went up a bit when i went from 31s to 37s. arent shafts and spline counts different on those tcases?

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
DO IT!! I must say ive gone back and forth on the lift lower thing. After a trip to the scrap yard after a huge rain fall I have found a love for playing in the mud. Soon as we buy a house I'm planning a sas as well. Good luck, look forward to the build.

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea I will have to build a custom front driveshaft, use a shortened f250 rear shaft, and build a custom trans to t-case shaft.

Thunderstruck20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could be wrong but the driveshaft I bought after my lift was out of an old dodge i believe and it bolted right up to the stock t case and it just needed a conversion u joint

Thunderstruck20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could be wrong but the driveshaft I bought after my lift was out of an old dodge i believe and it bolted right up to the stock t case and it just needed a conversion u joint

never mind. forgot you dont wanna use the stock t case haha

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the truck was 4wd to start with I'd have no problem using the stock case. I'm just using what is readily available to me. I dot have tons of money to throw into a truck, I build junk with junk.