thermostat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95sierra2500

Reaction score
hey guys i tried a keyword search but it wouldnt work for me, but as its getting colder, i have started warming up my truck but it still takes forever to heat the cab, does anyone have experience with switching the thermostat? is there more than one, any issues? any input would be great thanks

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your username is 95 sierra 2500 so I'm gonna go off that and assume you have a TBI engine, a new thermostat is like $6 from a parts store

To swap it all you need to do is remove the large hose that goes from the intake manifold to the radiator at the neck on the intake, two bolts to remove the neck and your thermostat is under there, just lift it out and put the new one in, clean up the surfaces on the intake and the neck, I use a bit of heat resistant silicone then reattach the neck to the intake and the hose back on the neck, this job spills a lot of coolant so have something under the truck to catch it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

95sierra2500

Reaction score
Thanks man, i wasnt sure if there was maybe a cabin stat and a engine stat, but sounds like there is only one, thanks for the help!! thats one thing ive never dealt with before

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just FYI, it's not recommended by most to switch the thermostat out on these trucks for a different temp. I asked BBP when I had my ECM tuned and they told me that these trucks prefer the factory temp thermostats under pretty much any condition. I'd be more concerned about your heater core clogging up if your heat is really that bad.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Be sure to put it in the right direction. Sounds dumb but I've heard of ppl putting them in upside down

95sierra2500

Reaction score
thanks guys, im used to the 82, changed the heater core and had a diesel rad which made a huge difference, but this is a but more modern. i'll maybe try the heater core if its not too cold, im kind of a *** this year with the weather. i hear the heater core is hard to swap compared to a 80s model, but if it warms up ill just do that instead of a filter because i know they can easily clog, my snowmobile has a 5 micron fuel filter, i get the issues... these motors are the perfection of their time before the modern vortec and fuel injection, the last of simple hands on work before computers took over

thanks again