Wiring issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MurderYurFace

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m struggling to get my truck running. I don’t even know where to begin… sigh

To start with, it’s an electrical issue & it’s been plaguing my truck for abt 2 years now & only getting worse. Right now I can’t even get it to run, just crank. When I turn my brights on, the windshield wipers go on too, full speed. While this is happening, the driver side high beam is completely dead.

So I replaced both the windshield wiper motor & the headlight harness & neither fixed the issue. The high beam bulb is good I can get it to come on if I give it direct power.

I did the trick with the test light where you bridge the neg cable & the neg post on the battery to see if you got a short & it lit up. Then I went to the fuse box & started pulling fuses one by one & when I remove the BAT fuse, light goes out.

Ok where getting somewhere… except now idk what to do.

I’ve replaced the fuse box already bc it had some bad looking burns on the bottom side. I’m 100% positive I did that correctly bc I took pics & moved wires over one at a time using a q tip to keep myself from forgetting which slot it came out of from the old one. & I even got the truck to start once after I was finished. But then I went to put it back onto the little plastic stand & something arced & the truck died again…

Ignition switch also replaced with one from an identical truck. I know that doesn’t mean it was good but it looked a lot better than the one I pulled from my truck did.

Sigh…

Someone pls help me my truck has been down for like a year now.

MurderYurFace

Reaction score
Headlight switch & turn signal switch has already been replaced as well. I’m truly at a loss here & my automotive electrical knowledge isn’t enough to get me thru this one unfortunately. I feel like a dunce.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread out of ENGINES and into Audio + Electronics.

the driver side high beam is completely dead...

...The high beam bulb is good I can get it to come on if I give it direct power.

I did the trick with the test light where you bridge the neg cable & the neg post on the battery to see if you got a short & it lit up.
Headlight problem is crappy ground. Fix the ground for the headlight, you'll fix the headlight.

MAYBE that fixes the wipers. Maybe not.

docstoy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you talk about truck not running and then jump to headlight,wiper problem. First, when working on wiring and you don't know what something does , remove power either by removing a fuse or by removing ground from battery. Those sparks you see and you don't want to feel ( don't wear jewelry when working on electrical , you could get cooked or fried ) and now truck won't start again. You don't know what system you just shorted to ground or voltage. So do you want to try and get it running ? I see by your signature you have been a member for almost 4 years , not trying to be a SA but with what I have seen in just a few days on this site there are several very knowledgeable people here who also like to help . Where I'm going with that in 4 years if you had been reading these threads you would have a pretty good idea of where to start and how to ask questions, not get your truck fixed for free . So back to your truck do you have any tools ? A test light maybe and a dvm ? All I know is you say you don't know much and your truck has been down for almost a year .

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Number 1, this is important. Always start with my. " Make, model , year, eng, and what are you trying to fix, what have you done, anything change? Twenty ft away they all look the same, open the doors and hood there all different.
And if you've been here a while, this is something you know right?

MurderYurFace

Reaction score
Y’all I made the acct years ago bc I was looking at a thread & it said that I needed to create a profile to view some pictures & so I did lol
I’m sorry if I didn’t articulate my post good enough I was frustrated at the time of writing.

It’s a 1997 k1500 extended cab with the 5.7L vortec. I’m pretty sure the no start issue & the headlight/wiper issue are unrelated as the latter was an issue already before I couldn’t get it to start but I thought it was worth mentioning.
I just need some advice I’m not trying to ‘fix my truck for free’ or whatever he said smh

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First thing I’d do is install one of these disconnects on my battery. With issues like that, and going back and forth to battery to disconnect, you’ll appreciate it. Then, I’d go through and check ALL the main grounds, and not visually. They can look good, but you can just move one and they break in 1/2, like a mummy.
You must be registered for see images attach

F4U-1A

Summer soon.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First thing I’d do is install one of these disconnects on my battery. With issues like that, and going back and forth to battery to disconnect, you’ll appreciate it. Then, I’d go through and check ALL the main grounds, and not visually. They can look good, but you can just move one and they break in 1/2, like a mummy.
You must be registered for see images attach
Not my Mummy she took a bad fall> Scull and shoulder fracture, and at 87 the Docs unt physio help said is going to make a full recovery.